Nissan XTerra Forum banner

DMSKI's very slow, mild budget build

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  dmski 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after having finished up a few more projects, I figure I should probably start putting it into a build thread so I can keep track of the progress (and troubles) of my xterra and so that others can hopefully learn from my mistakes.

Before:

As it stands now:

Stock Specs:
Model: Xterra XE
VG33-V6
4x4 w/ hi/lo transfer case
5spd transmission
Black Exterior, Gray/black interior

Exterior:
Toyo A/T 265/75R15
Magnet Uniden CB antenna
Sticker'd
4 Hella 500 Driving Lights
2 Rear Tractor Flood Lights
Waxed/Washed
Trailer Hitch Installed
Front Tow hook
Shrockworsk bumper!!!

Interior:
Floor Mats
Lev O Guage
Uniden 510xl CB
Fire Extinguisher
Light Switches

Performance:
Haha funny joke...
Maintenance work. Next up is 120xxx fluid change.
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Recovery:
Shovel
Gloves
Chains
30000lb Recovery Strap
2 5 ton Shackles
Oil
Tool kit
Wiper Fluid
Tarp
First Aid Kit
Fuses
Lights

The Backstory:
As an avid skier, MTB nut and general outdoor guy, I had to find something that was 4x4, 4 door, manual and at least had room to build off of as well as something that could be lived out of for camping/weekend trips. Xterra's were at the top of my list, as well as Pathfinders, Troopers, Rodeos, Wranglers, XJ's, Tacoma's, 4-Runners, etc. but they were either too highly priced or beat to hell.

Enter "X" (needs a more interesting name). It is a 2000 XE 5spd manual 4x4 xterra with 114xxx miles and a 1 owner car. It had a few cosmetic issues but had been otherwise been well taken care of. I had been looking at Xterra's for quite some time and happened to find one the day I was supposed to go back to school after this last Christmas (usually how it goes).

Drove down to Vancouver and picked er up! Nails were in the tires (no joke like 3 of them!) so the first thing to go on were some new shoes, Toyo A/T and as big as I could stuff under without rubbing! After that, I drove it home and did a full detail job inside and out. We had an extra rocket box so I threw that up there to haul skis and gear. Added some brighter upgrade bulbs which helped a lot from stock and some floor mats ans pretty much went from there.

After that I used it every weekend to go skiing over in Spokane/Coeur D'alene and didn't do too much to it except continue adding to the safety equipment. I ran across a great deal on 4 Hella 500 driving lights on a closeout sale and had to grab them. At the same time I was able to pick up 2 rear flood lights for 10 bucks total off amazon and bought an extra relay (they accidentally sent me 5 so I can sell you one) and went about wiring up the lights.

Finally found a trailer hitch with frame rail stiffeners and what a pain in the a** that was to find. But a great deal came along with it so for 20 bucks I was able to get all the hardware, wiring, frame stiffeners and hitch installed.

I was able to offroad with it at least once a month and was beyond impressed at what a stock Xterra could do. I'm happy to say its still above my skill level so before I continue moding, I really just need to get better technique!

The Goal

I have a vision of what I want this truck to become, and it will be a slow process getting there, but that's part of the fun! I will split up the end goal into smaller goals and go about it that way, working a little at a time.

Goal 1: Baseline that Puppy! - Fluids, and all around mechanical soundness - done!

Goal 2: Simple beginning mods - Lights, roof rack, CB, trailer hitch install, recovery gear and basic offroad equipment -

Goal 3: Armor, lots of armor - Rock Sliders, Front Winch bumper, Rear bumper, underbody protection -

Goal 4: Lift, New suspension components, snorkel -

Enough for now but there are sure to be updates in the future

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice budget build. Let's see some pictures of that bumper mounted on there. Also, I didn't see anywhere that you said the timing belt had already been changed. If you have any question in your mind as to whether it was changed, do it, especially at the mileage that you are at.

#4 ·
As promised. Man I am so pumped! Probably one of the stranger craigslist transactions I've had. A guy was selling his xterra and it happened to have a shrockworks bumper on it. Called him up and asked if he would trade for my stock bumper plus some cash on top. Ended up spending an hour or so swapping bumpers. Shrock is easy to get on and takes like 5 minutes. I'm impressed by the build quality. The stock bumper on the other hand.... there must have been at least 15 bolts for the plastic. Ridiculous.

And now the new shrock! The car was missing something and but now it just sits perfectly! Considering moving two of all 4 of my lights to the bumper now. I get horrible light glare from the roof mounted ones. Any suggestions?

ryandavenport, Thanks for the post! The previous owner replaced the timing belt and I have record of it, but man I still feel like I should do it anyways out of caution.

#5 ·
Went to find some new trails in Idaho. Found some easy logging roads and had fun messing around up in the Mts. Had thunderstorms which cleared to sun at the end of the day. Trails are south of Pinehurst, ID.

my hardly stuffed tire!

Posin shots

View Coming down

#6 ·
Update:

120k service has started! Finally decided to stop bein lazy and grab some NGK iridium plugs, seafoam, fuel filter, oil filter, and clean the MAF. Next up is collecting all the fluids. I'm guessing at a full day of just fluid changes and general maintenance.

I'm having some recent issues with my clutch, which doesn't want to go back up. I'm guessing it either needs to be bled (DOT3 fluid right?), or the master cylinder rod needs adjusting, or (hopefully not!) that the master or slave cylinder is shot... I'll get under there this weekend to check. Anyone have this issue before?

#7 ·
Update:

Installed new fuel filter, oil/filter changed, ngk iridiums installed and finished up seafoming. Next up is f/r diffs, transfer case and transmission. Keeping busy for sure.

#8 ·
Update:

Been a while since the last post but the X has held up great! Went to Silver mountain with the X fully loaded for some downhill biking. 4 full bikes, gear and 4 guys and it didn't skip a beat. Also had a great trip with the local ORV club up in Colville a while ago but figure I would update that.

Completed all the 120k maintenance and have on the way I have ignition wires, new radio head unit, and found an extra tie rod, auto hub and driveshaft with U joints from the junk yard for a steal of a price. Pictures to hopefully come! With snow in the air, its time for a full wash, and an organizer setup in the back so I can sleep on my ski trips this year.

Future mods will include a rotation of the tires, grease all the ball joints/bearings and any other odds and ends under the truck. I'd like to look into some sliders and a engine/trans skid plate, winch or a full on suspension lift as the suspension is feeling a little more tired. Opinions?

#9 ·
Update:

Small trip report from wheeling in Colville with the ORV club. I hate the NW pinstriping but that's what you get for some fun times and pucker factor!

One of two stock rigs actually. Me and a Jeep. X dig great! A few punishing tree branches to the paint and a drop on the step down which I didn't get a vid of, but I did get one from another person.

#11 · (Edited)
Cheers! Been adding a few things here and there. I haven't done an update in a while actually. Mostly updating at expeditionportal.com. Christmas brought some goodies along but unfortunately during an overnight ski trip the fuel pump died. So that was a fun tow back to town...

But some goodies from Christmas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.