Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Yesterday I bought an '06 Xterra with 106k miles from a private party. I knew and had researched S.M.O.D plenty and I thought I had checked this car thoroughly. This morning I was in the process of doing the bipass and I found the milkshake. I'm crushed and I'm an idiot.

I checked the transmission dipstick and it looks very clean. Is there any chance that I can replace the radiator and flush the system and solve the problem? Is there any chance my transmission didn't get contaminated?

Thanks so much. Spent my last dimes on this truck, feel like a fool. Also, the seller wont take it back, says what's done is done. He's helping me get it looked at but I'm skeptical and really could use your feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Its trash once the antifreeze gets in it eats the TCM up . The guy new he was sell it to like that. Whats the sellers name we can see if he posting anything here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if it doesn't look like the anti freeze hasn't gotten into the transmission yet, I may have gotten lucky and the trans is still ok? Is it possible or common that the anti freeze may not have made it into the trans even if the antifreeze is strawberryish in the radiator?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Unplug the line from the tran to radiator start the truck and drain the trans and deposit in a bucket and see what you have .

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
You need a new radiator full flush of fluid and then another full flush in 30 days and hope for the best and then trade it back to Nissan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need a new radiator full flush of fluid and then another full flush in 30 days and hope for the best and then trade it back to Nissan.
So there's a chance I can get away without having to replace my tranny? I'll take it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the same but got mine from a Nissan dealership. 06 one owner trade in. Had it for 48hrs when i felt the smod rumble. They told me sorry as is. Took them 1 min to tell me i needed a new tran and rad. Needless to say i was pissed since i just paid cash for it less than 2 days ago. They ended up paying half. Good luck...your not the only one. I feel your pain

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the same but got mine from a Nissan dealership. 06 one owner trade in. Had it for 48hrs when i felt the smod rumble. They told me sorry as is. Took them 1 min to tell me i needed a new tran and rad. Needless to say i was pissed since i just paid cash for it less than 2 days ago. They ended up paying half. Good luck...your not the only one. I feel your pain
Ah man, they totally knew it had SMOD I bet. Still, after paying for half you've still overpaid I imagine. We took a look at my tranny and it looks like no anti freeze got in there. I'm seriously contemplating buying something else and trading this xterra in to a dealership. I'm not sure I want to risk this issue creeping up in the future. I'll keep you al updated on the progress of my repair.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I had the radiator replaced and new hoses installed. We flushed the system to clear out all the milkshake. We replaced the thermostat and made sure there was no shake left in the area where anti-freeze flows. It's been 2 days and my check engine light popped on. I check the anti-freeze, looks like we missed some milkshake and it made its way back in. Not sure what to do at this point, does anyone know if my new radiator can handle a little milkshake mixed with brand new anti-freeze? It's probably a 95% to 5% mixture of anti-freeze to leftover milkshake (95% is the good anti-freeze).

My tranny is still safe as of now and should remain safe, seeing as the new radiator isn't defective like the original one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trans fluid is clean. The radiator fluid is green but I occasionally see the milky bits floating around. They are just bits floating in a sea of green tho, from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Ok thats not a problem a little ATF in the radiator is not going to hurt any thing today but before the Chicago temperature get down low i would do another flush to try and rid as much of the ATF as because i am sure its going to raise you ice up potability when it gets cold out and how much i am not sure and i know you don't want to crack the block after all this. As for the trans i would check the dip stick every day and the first sign of color change another flush is needed and if nothing happens then in 90 days another full flush. If you get by this problem with no damage down the road i would do the by pass because 1) No body is sure of how the new radiator is going to react in 1 year or 5 years 2) Some day your going to sell it and educated buyer is probable not going buy it with out it.3) you just don't need any more problems for a $10 bypass kit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah man, they totally knew it had SMOD I bet. Still, after paying for half you've still overpaid I imagine. We took a look at my tranny and it looks like no anti freeze got in there. I'm seriously contemplating buying something else and trading this xterra in to a dealership. I'm not sure I want to risk this issue creeping up in the future. I'll keep you al updated on the progress of my repair.
They knew 4sure. Shady bastards. I got it under blue book even with the repair... That was how i slept at night and not driving into the building, after saving so long then feeling robbed. I need to do the bypass myself. Need to see if it will effect my Warranty. Telling ya if you want some piece of mind check out Endurance. The dealership wanted to sell me a warranty but a quick google i found they are the worst on BBB and didn't cover SMOD anyway. Endurance goes by what your Mechanic says and don't send 3rd party to look it b4 they deny you. They are A+ on BBB. Already paid for mine in repair. Full timing chain repair (for Noise) and Alternator(2500$ job), cost me 100 bucks. Good Luck. I love my X more than any car i have owned. Even if the 1st 6 months were a bitch i finally am loving it. It is the best SUV Iv'e driven in the snow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a ton man, that really helps a lot. I had the coolant flushed again and had the anti-freeze tank specifically removed and scrubbed. It seems to be in good shape now, I will keep my eye on both fluids as well as the bipass. If the SMOD is a result of a faulty Nissan radiator, then a new radiator should solve the problem? I'm afraid that doing the bipass will put too much strain on my trans. I'd rather not have to install an extra aux cooler for after the bipass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts