Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just noticed that on my way to work my truck is running rough. When I give it gas and the rpm's get up to 2,500 rpm's it starts to sputter and lose power and won't rev up past 2,500 rpm's. I'm thinking it's some kind of fuel problem, not sure just wanted to get some opinions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2002 se with 153,451mi, the service engine light also came on when I noticed this. I just took it around the block and it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore right now but my lights still on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's a 2002 se with 153,451mi, the service engine light also came on when I noticed this. I just took it around the block and it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore right now but my lights still on.
Mine did this and it ended up being the MAF sensor. When it becomes faulty, it puts the truck into "limp mode" to protect the engine from temperature damage. Go to autozone and have them pull the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2000 X exhibited this same behavior. Started OK, idled OK, no issues until I accelerated, and then it would cut out and sputter, then catch and go, then cut out and sputter.

I thought it was a fuel issue... replaced the fuel filter, no dice. Plenty of fuel flow, so I knew that wasn't the issue.

It was acting almost like there was a loose ground wire on the ignition system, and when I would accelerate, it would lose connection, and then make connection when the engine stopped revving, etc.

Said F-it, and just pulled the engine and started a rebuild.

Then I found the issue. And, oh my... was it ever an issue!

When I pulled the distributor apart to rebuild it... I found the remains of the ball bearing that keeps the shaft centered that the rotor/dizzy attaches to. By remains, I mean I found the inner race still attached to the shaft, and the outer race still pressed into the distributor body... but everything else was GONE. There were thin flakes of shiny metal that I assume were the ball bearings and the keeper inside of it. And by thin, I mean aluminum foil thin. Those bearings were DUST. Literally. Pulverized dust. I still am amazed at the extent of which that bearing failed... I have never seen that in my 30+ years of turning wrenches.

I suggest pulling your distro and checking the bearing. There is only one, and it is under the cap/rotor/optical tone ring/electronics, and you will need to completely disassemble it to replace it. The bearing was around $5, and it took about an hour to do the work.

I would look there first, based on my research and personal experience on this particular symptom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts