Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've had my Xterra for about 2 years now. She's a 2000 model and never needed any major work done. Yesterday morning I took a drive into town and I put some gas in. Hours later, on my drive home she just shut off on me. I was not able to to turn her back on, although she continued to try which makes us believe it has nothing to do with the battery. I had to get towed home where a closer look was taken, but no sure diagnosis was made. When the car is turned on it does a good amount of chugging. Sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. When it does turn on there is a lot of rough chugging and shaking of the car before it then stalls out. My dad has a theory that this could be an issue with the fuel pump. But like I said, no sure diagnosis.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Have you ever replaced the timing belt and the distributor? Do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have when I first got the car about 2 years ago. My check engine light came on last week and I took it to get read and they said it was my O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Do you happen to know what the code was? P0420 perhaps? The reason I ask is: If it was that code, it could indicate other problems in addition to the O2 sensor.

General troubleshooting:

All engines have to have fuel, air, and fire to run.

Fuel: Fuel pump? Fuel Lines? Contaminated fuel (water in the tank?). Injectors?
Air: Check for intake system obstructions, Check exhaust system for obstructions (collapsed catalytic converter?)
Fire: Do you have spark on all cylinders? If you do, is it occurring at the proper time?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sounds like the distributor to me. I had the issue a few weeks back. My problem was that the new distributors rotor came loose. Under the distributor cap there is a rotor and the screw that holds that rotor on somehow backed itself out and allowed the rotor to detach itself. Give the distributor a test.
I agree that this is a good place to start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what the code is, and I just look for the paperwork given when I took it to get read but cannot find it. However, I will look into the distributor first. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
try to turn that rotor (take off dist. cap) if it turns by hand bad distributor if it wont turn dist. should be ok, but could be the coil built into the distributor as well, then check all the plugs and wires, i would siphon out the gas in the tank and put fresh gas in as well, it could be really watery or bad.

but at 156,000+ miles which is where my 00 x 3.3l sits the distributor is very prone to failure, mine went a month ago started shaking bad wouldnt go over 30mph and when it hit 30 the rpms surged then dropped almost so low the truck would die then kick back on hobbled it back to work and it died in the parking lot wouldnt fire back up, luckily i work at autozone and we had a distributor so i bought it and put it on, started right up and hasnt had an issue since.

it could also be a clogged fuel filter if you havent done that, it tends to get over looked. start with a fuel filter ~$11 and its just a bolt and 2 hose clamps to get it off, then if nothing, wires and plugs, and so on

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I replaced the rotor, the distributor cap, the spark plugs and wires, nothing did the trick. I'm starting to believe it's the fuel pump. However, I know that is a big job. Also, I am wondering how I need to go about this. My car is sitting at home, I'm buying all these parts and I don't even know what exactly it is that is wrong with my car. I'm wanting to just pay for a tow, and take it to a mechanic. I feel like I'm wasting time just guessing and not really knowing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I still think its a distributor issue. If not, I would lean towards the cats being clogged.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would not recommend guessing, it's usually not the best thing to do. Obviously after you have exhausted all other options, you have to try something. The distributor is such a common problem with the xterra's.

Have you checked the code? If you have a code that's the best place to start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got my code read.
P0131- Oxygen sensor lean shift monitor fault (right bank)
P0151 - Oxygen sensor lean shift monitor fault (left bank)
P0154- Oxygen sensor high voltage fault (left bank)

Would all of these be a cause for my car not to start?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just got my code read.
P0131- Oxygen sensor lean shift monitor fault (right bank)
P0151 - Oxygen sensor lean shift monitor fault (left bank)
P0154- Oxygen sensor high voltage fault (left bank)

Would all of these be a cause for my car not to start?
I don't think these would prevent it from running....but my guess is you have a fuel issue...not enough fuel. Either fuel pressure or injectors.

Whens the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fuel filter about 8 months ago...

I believe it's the fuel pump. We had someone give us a few tests and it didn't pass the home testing. I went and bought a new fuel pump. We are in the process of taking it all apart, but one of the hoses is giving us a difficult time with the removal.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Fuel filter about 8 months ago...

I believe it's the fuel pump. We had someone give us a few tests and it didn't pass the home testing. I went and bought a new fuel pump. We are in the process of taking it all apart, but one of the hoses is giving us a difficult time with the removal.
Did you check fuel pressure to confirm it's really the pump?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pump had no pressure so we changed the pump, still nothing, I think there's no power to the pump, I looked all over for loose wires but nothing yet.
Confirmed there's spark, confirmed timing belt ok, cleared the oxygen sensor codes, just to try, still nothing....
Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? I can't find one. Anyway, I don't think that will be it because it has started twice since it died for the first time, both times run for a very short period and died back.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
733 Posts
Pump had no pressure so we changed the pump, still nothing, I think there's no power to the pump, I looked all over for loose wires but nothing yet.
Confirmed there's spark, confirmed timing belt ok, cleared the oxygen sensor codes, just to try, still nothing....
Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? I can't find one. Anyway, I don't think that will be it because it has started twice since it died for the first time, both times run for a very short period and died back.

Any ideas???
Fuel pump relay is near the battery

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts