Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my current 04 Supercharged X has an open diff, but I have a limited slip diff lying around from an Xterra which I parted out. I've heard the LSD's on Xterras were kinda useless - wondering if it's worth the hassle to swap to the LSD??

The LSD has 108k miles on it, so not much, so I'm hoping it's not worn out? I did do some research on the forum, and sounds like the breakaway torque on them is super low so it won't make much of a difference off-road?

Also, I might eventually put a locker on the back, but it is a fair bit of $$ so not committed to it yet. Can I put an ARB locker on a LSD?

·
Administrator
8,738 Posts
The break torque in the later model Gen1 trucks sucks. The only year that was ok was the 2000 model. Any LSD would be better than an open diff but if I was going through the trouble and changing out the 3rd I would put ina selectable locker. Yeah they are pricey but it is the absolute best of both worlds with good street manners and a locked diff offroad.

Check it the thread linked below and particularly Cyclemuts post. He is no longer active but has been there and done that with several Nissan trail rigs.
Super Packing LSD Dif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very little experience with this but I have the LSD on my 03 and damn it could be a light rain and a slight uphill and I’m spinning from a stop

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very little experience with this but I have the LSD on my 03 and damn it could be a light rain and a slight uphill and I’m spinning from a stop
So you mean to say that it barely works? I know those plates wear out - how many miles on your diff?

Looks like the breakaway torque is suuuuper low on the 03-04 models :/ From TJ:
IIRC, the 00-02 X's used ~ 10 plates, and had a BAT ~ of 138 - 180 ft lb, but they used spacers in the 03-04' (Fewer plates, plus, the spacers, etc..), and the BAT was dropped to a vestigial 29-43 ft lb.
@RacerXXL Thx for the thread link! Super helpful. I guess as long as it's a 33 spline H233B axle (HG46) I can use a Pathfinder axle on my X? Do you know exact year Pathfinders that had this axle? I found this page that was super useful, describes all Nissan axle variants: All you needed to know about Nissan axles through 2004

I checked my doorjab and it says HG46, which as per page above means: "2000+ is the H233B axle with 4.636:1 gearing (33 spline axles). Typically comes with an R200 front axle"

I'm going to see if any of the junkyards around have Pathfinders with this axle with LSD - might be much cheaper vs full ARB conversion, but who knows. Is the ARB air locker hard to install or it just drop-in?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My LSD is 99,000 miles. Recent fluid change and probably the only one it ever got. The LSD might kick in or something after that initial slipping, but coming from a Chevy s10 with an open diff to this, it spins less, but still spins if that helps

·
Administrator
8,738 Posts
@RacerXXL Thx for the thread link! Super helpful. I guess as long as it's a 33 spline H233B axle (HG46) I can use a Pathfinder axle on my X? Do you know exact year Pathfinders that had this axle?
You can use the 3rd member yes. The axle however will not work IIRC. I’m not certain the axle WMS measurement is the same between the two. Also the Pathy is a 4-link rear so brackets would be wrong. Beside just switch the third into yours with your ring gear and your done. You will need check backlash on the gears before you switch the ring gear but it very simple.

I do not know what years sorry. Check Nissannut.com he has a lot of great info on his site.

That list you found is good but not completely corrrect from what we have seen so always verify.

·
Administrator
8,738 Posts
I checked my doorjab and it says HG46, which as per page above means: "2000+ is the H233B axle with 4.636:1 gearing (33 spline axles). Typically comes with an R200 front axle"
That is correct

I'm going to see if any of the junkyards around have Pathfinders with this axle with LSD - might be much cheaper vs full ARB conversion, but who knows. Is the ARB air locker hard to install or it just drop-in?
The ARB install is basically the same as installing the 3rd from a Pathy only thing that is different is running air lines and switches and drilling the hole for the airline in the banjo housing. Very simple.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ARB install is basically the same as installing the 3rd from a Pathy only thing that is different is running air lines and switches and drilling the hole for the airline in the banjo housing. Very simple.
Oh man, ok, sounds like I should just keep my current open diff and do the ARB auto locker thing -> probably way more capable vs LSD and can have best of both worlds as you say!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts