Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving today and my '04 4WD 3.3L V6 Xterra won't turn over.

The engine will turn but not over fully. I have checked the fuel pump, I hear the noise of it charging, I replaced the fuel filter. The battery is fine, I checked the vacuum line and removed an end of a wire brush, still doesn't turn over. I checked the distributor with my meter and it checked out. I did see a thread on checking to see if the knob under the distributor cover moves as an indicator to see if the timing belt is broken.

Any ideas as to where to look next.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hopefully I'm wrong but if it's only turning over part way and not making a full revolution, valves are hitting pistons. I.E. Timing belt broke. If so you're probably looking at motor replacement. Try taking off the distributator cap and turning it with a socket on the crank. The rotor button should move, if it doesn't oh oh. Someone else might have another idea too. Good luck

·
Registered
355 Posts
Why not look at the starter? If it doesn't turn over, first things I check is battery and starter.

What does it sounds like when you turn the key to start it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
X2 on checking the starter, typically when the timing belt goes it will crank like there is no resistance, sounds like your starter just doesn't have the oomph to crank

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I checked the spark plugs and they are fine. The knob under the distributor cap does not move when I try to start the X. The crank wiggles when I put a socket on it and pulled a little. Is there any way to tell if the valves are screwed up without rippling the engine apart? Can i replace the belt and tell that way?

I'm going to check the starter next and see what that results in. Thanks all.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If the rotor isn't turning ,belts broken. I'm not an expert but sometimes they say you can get away with just replacing the belt but the motor is probably toast. If you can change it yourself it might be worth a try. At worst you've got a new belt for the replacement motor.sorry. anyone with more expertise want to weigh in?

·
Registered
444 Posts
X2 on broken belt...if the distributor isn't turning that is the first place I would check

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts