Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking into a way to better gas mileage in my 2004 3.3L Xterra V6 Supercharged. I’m currently getting around 12 MPG and get about 4 hours of driving on a full tank. Looking at getting a K&N Airfilter along with a PCR or something similar... any suggestions, ideas, or things to be cautious about? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,632 Posts
Fresh plugs, wires, cap, clean the MAF, switch to all synthetic oil and lubricants, check the tire pressure weekly, try and keep the RPM’s under 2500.

It’s a 5000 lb plus SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick and between 170 to 200 HP at the crank. Mine barely got 18 when it was brand new.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
I drove my 2004 3.3L NA home after buying it almost 800 miles away. I found that driving at 65-70 netted me 18.0 mpg, 60 netted 21.2 mpg, and mixed 60-70 netted 19.7, with all that data in the thread below.

Like @RacerXXL mentions, make sure it's in its best running condition possible, then use the cruise control.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe check to see that your brakes are NOT being partially engaged by a faulty ABS module? I was getting about 12-13 mpg, with N/A engine and auto on 33x12.50s. Now, since I S-canned the module, I'm to around 16-17 mpg. MAJOR difference in the way that the "X" feels, as well- feels MUCH "lighter" when moving, where before it had always felt "heavy" or sluggish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
don’t forget the in line fuel filter underneath. I didn’t think I had one since most vehicles are designed with the filter in the tank. Changed mine and made quite a difference in power and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fresh plugs, wires, cap, clean the MAF, switch to all synthetic oil and lubricants, check the tire pressure weekly, try and keep the RPM’s under 2500.

It’s a 5000 lb plus SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick and between 170 to 200 HP at the crank. Mine barely got 18 when it was brand new.
Lol. When I bought my 04 X from the dealer the salesman told me to keep the RPMs under 2500. At 2700 and above, it will suck that fuel like a full size truck. Told me after I signed the papers. 😳

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, it REALLY will get thirsty in a hurry! 2700 down the Interstate and the gas hand moves almost visibly while you watch it... 47 miles to work eats fuel fairly quickly...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe check to see that your brakes are NOT being partially engaged by a faulty ABS module? I was getting about 12-13 mpg, with N/A engine and auto on 33x12.50s. Now, since I S-canned the module, I'm to around 16-17 mpg. MAJOR difference in the way that the "X" feels, as well- feels MUCH "lighter" when moving, where before it had always felt "heavy" or sluggish.
What is S-canning the module and how do i do this"? is there a thread you can direct me to kind sir. My brick gets horrible mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts