Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I ran into a problem at the gas pump yesterday. When I try to pump gas into the gas tank it will pump for a few seconds, make that click when the handle releases, and then gas pours out of the tank for a second. The tank was bone dry when I tried to fill it up. Right now the only way I can gas up the X is if I do it VERY slowly, and even then I get gas all over me and smell terrible for the rest of the day. Any ideas? This is a HUGE PITA. :usuck:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
does this happen at the same gas stattion?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, same gas station. It has happened at two pumps at the same station though. The rest of my family doesn't have any problems filling up there and I haven't either until this last week.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
check another gas station..make sure the nozzle is allll the way in

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I'd think about the charcoal canister that is used as a vent for the gas line/tank.

Normally, it acts as a vent for escaping vapors/air in the tank, as you displace that with fresh gas...

..but, if the can gets saturated with gas over time, or from "topping off", etc...it gets cloggged, and air can't escape.

That can lead to the new gas trying to go in, but fighting the already present air/vapors, etc...and, that's when it "Burps" gasoline out onto you, etc.

:D

Normally, we give a relief vent to prevent this, even when pouring from a can, we need to open a make-up air vent to let the fluid's volume be replaced, etc....I punch TWO holes in a can before pouring for example. (One to pour out the liquid, and one to let in air...)

Same with the gas tank, except we can't just have an open vent, as gasoline vapors would evaporate out and stink up the garage, pollute the environment, etc....

So we put a charcoal canister on the vent line, and the charcoal absorbs the stinky vapors, letting the rest of the air out, etc.

When the charcoal is all used up/full, well, its time for new charcoal.

Of course, other things can block the vent line, like spiders get in places like that sometimes, etc.

There of course are other things...but, based on what you said so for...this is a leading contender.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Try a different gas station first maybe that gas staion just doesnt like your x, Ive had weird issues like this with my jet ski at gas stations... tried 2 pumps at One staion both wouldnt let more pour gas in unless i held the trigger, went to a diferent station and had no issues, as for checking if something is in the tube, use something like an oil dipstick... something that is really clean and you won't drop down in there, also something that won't leave residue behind

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
If the FILLER is clogged, that's unusual, as that's a wide bore...its typically the vent line that gets clogged.

BOTH are visible if you go under the truck at that corner, and look.

You can SEE the fill and vent lines...and, you can SEE the vent line runs to a canister.

When you get to the station, pull the vent line from the canister on the fill side (Not the tank side of it)...and see if it fills better.

At that point, you can also use a large pipe cleaner or bottle brush, etc....to run the line for obstructions, etc (Like spider related issues, etc...).

You can practice at home, so you already know what to do when you get to the station, and have already run the line for obstructions, etc.

Some pumps, etc, are more sensitive than others...and sometimes flipping the nozzle upside down helps a slow filler....but, this DOESN'T work if the vent line is not allowing in make-up air.

It CAN work if there's simply a huge amount of gas vapor triggering the cut-off on the nozzle though (A different problem...)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm with TJ on this......

Sticking anything that would clog it would be tough because the nozzle has an insert that's smaller than the tubing. You can get a long steel rod to stick down there to check if you want to, just don't drop it in there.

That vent line he's talking about goes into an Evap Canister that's above your rear axle. It can get clogged with dust and mud and might need to be cleaned out, but I'd check the line first as he suggested. Just crawl under, lookup, and you should see a black plastic box hanging somewhwere near the rear axle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts