Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Xterra SE
General Grabber AT2

When I shift into four wheel and drive at any speed, there is a sounds that comes from the front drivers side near the hub. It sounds like there is a metal string that is whipping around and around and occasionally sounds like metal dragging. It sounds horrible and I can feel it in my gas pedal. It feels like something is hitting the floorboards. It's progressive- as my speed increases and gets faster so does this noise. When the hub disengages, it stops.

If I have it in 4 wheel for a while and drive for more than 30 or 40 mins it stops. I only know this because we had a horrible snow storm last year. Want to get this fixed before we get one this year.

Any troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I would start at the hubs, and see if there is any visible damage/excessive heat when operating...and I ask when was the last time you re-packed the front wheel bearings on your 14 year old rig?

..and then look at the CV's for torn boots/visible damage, etc. Try to wiggle them, etc.

Look at the diff sitting on the cross member. Are the rubber mounts wallowed out? When did you last change the diff juice?

Look at the front drive shaft. Try to wiggle it. When was the last time you greased the fitting on it? Does it telescope in/out smoothly? Are the u-joints OK?

Check out that stuff, and report back.

:D

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have experienced a similar sound, but only when I don't shift smoothly.

I generally try to keep it under 20 mph (but I prefer to be stopped). Either way, when you do shift into 4H be sure you're doing so in one swift movement. Pull firmly, fairly quick, and as smooth as possible into 4H.

It takes some practice, especially when moving, but I got it after a few times since this was my first 4x4 car.

If you are familiar with shifting into 4H and this has only recently become an issue hopefully someone else can chime in with some solutions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts