Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 X, 3.3 non-supercharged 4x4, auto tranny with 210,000 miles under it. It will start perfectly and idle perfectly, when you try to drive it it has no power, and won't take gas only in one spot maybe 1/4 of the way down but thats it you can floor it and it bogs down and slows down until you let up off the gas pedal to the sweet spot, top speed is 15 to 20 mph and when you come to a hill you pray and bearly make it up it, but I can start it and it will idle forever setting in my drive way. I replaced the distributor and cap and button, didn't help it, replaced the fuel filter, didn't help it, I was told the catalytic converter was stopped up and I used a laser thermometer and after driving 10 miles where the pipe goes into the CC it was 495 degrees and where the pipe exits the CC it was 395degrees, it was a 1 owner and I ask him and the CC has never been changed its original, :crying:Question (1) Does that mean its stopped up ?? Was told it could be the spark plugs and after hearing about #6 I only want to change them if I'm almost positive thats my problem, I did pull #2 spark plug and it looked great (but I have to wonder if #6 is factory and was skiped over when the others were changed) I ask the owner of the garage where the previous owner always took it for mechanic work and he said that he changed the plugs at 181,000 and used NGK's :crying:Question (2) Would the #6 plug cause this or would changing the plugs solve my issue? Also was told the fuel pump :crying:Question (3) Do you think its the fuel pump ? The check engine light is on and it throws a Knock Sensor code but I tested the KS and its good and reset the check engine light and its back on within 1/2 a mile.
ANY help would be greatly greatly appreciated this vehicle belongs to my daughter and she/we/I can't afford to start putting parts on and hope we pick the right one, Again Thank You in advance !!!:crying::crying:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I suspect three things. One what do you mean it won't go over 20? Does it "buckle" while you are driving? or just simply bog down after that? Also at 210k miles you need to do the timing belt. Was it done? It could have skipped a tooth. Last thing is your transmission, does the fluid look red on the dipstick? Last thing is make sure the distributor rotor is tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transmission fluid is red looks clean, not cloudy or black no burned smell, timing belt was replaced 10,000 miles ago with water pump. When I'm at the "sweet spot" on the gas pedal 20 mph is as fast as it will go, if I floor it it just slows the engine & rpms down, when I let up off of it it straightens up and starts gaining speed up to around 20mph, then gas pedal back to floor same thing. I appreciate your help and I know its hard to diagnose this issue without seeing or driving it, I will try my best to describe to you what its doing and any future help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
did the problem started all at once or gradually?i'm a mechanic in kamloops..i could check a few things for you if you're not too far in BC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts