Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a 2004 xterra SE 5 speed 4wd I’ve replaced master/slave cylinder, alternator, starter, clutch switch, battery terminals, and new battery. Still nothing when I try to crank it. Dash lights and everything come on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ok so I bought a 2004 xterra SE 5 speed 4wd I’ve replaced master/slave cylinder, alternator, starter, clutch switch, battery terminals, and new battery. Still nothing when I try to crank it. Dash lights and everything come on. Any ideas?
Sounds like a classic symptom possibly associated with a bad alternator or alternator connections related to the battery and ECM being able to see the correct charging voltage from the alternator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a classic symptom possibly associated with a bad alternator or alternator connections related to the battery and ECM being able to see the correct charging voltage from the alternator.
even with new alt and bat?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
even with new alt and bat?
Yes even with a "new" alternator. Was the alternator a new build or remanufactured unit that had a great warranty because it was highly likely you might need it? People here post their experiences with DOA new alternators. If you have a voltmeter it would be good to read the battery standby voltage [eg 12.5 vdc] and running voltage provided by the alternator at the battery [14.5 vdc approx]. High or low voltages running will cause concern with the ECM.

·
Registered
2002 Xterra SE, Shock Blue, AT/4x4
38 Posts
A good diagnostic procedure is to cut the system in half and you can do either first: control side and load side. Check the control side first by disconnecting the small wire from your starter and put a test light to it with the clamp on ground. Make sure it's in neutral and parking brake on since it's a MT. Have someone press in the clutch and hit the key. If it lights up, your control is good and move to the load (starter) side. If no good, you will have to trace backwards through the starter relay, clutch switch, fuse and wiring. For the load side, jumper from the small wire on the starter then touch the other end to the starter to check the load side-this is a small load maybe 5 amps. If you get a healthy click but no starter or no click at all, the solenoid is probably bad. This is all assuming the big positive starter cable is good and clean. If it fires off, your control side is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts