Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to both club xterra and xterras in general, being a highschool student working on his first car. I am currently working on installing a new speaker system, and wasn't sure the best way to wire my amp. I'm not looking for installation places, I've got that figured out, I was just wondering if I should wire it straight to the battery or if there was a hot wire I could attach said amp to. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,659 Posts
It depends.

If the amp has 2 wires that make it turn on, then you can probably run one to the battery (use a fuse or circuit breaker) since that is the main power, and the other is the remote turn-on signal that comes from the HU (head unit) to tell the amp to turn on.

If the amp has just one power wire, I'd use a heavy-duty relay with proper protection (big fuse or CB for main line, 2A fuse for coil) to power the amp. The main wire would go from battery to NO contact, the coil would get its power from the key.

In any case, any fuse or CB needs to be installed as close as possible to the source of the splice in order to protect the entire run of wire.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
The wiring requirements depend on the size and configuration of the amplifier. As a rule of thumb, I say anything larger than 500 watts or so will need to be wired directly to the battery. 500W / 14V = 35 amps max current. You’ll need 8-10 gauge wire for this depending on the length of the run. I think I used 2x12 gauge to power mine from the fuse block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts