Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have an '02 Xterra and my front driver window failed last night. I rolled it down while driving, but now it won't roll back up. The motor sounds like its trying to lift the window, but nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
02 SE/SC
96 Posts
It's almost guaranteed to be your window regulator. The cable either broke or jumped the track. I've had to replace 4 or 5 of them on my two Gen 1s.

Depending on how much time you want to spend on it, you could take the door panel off and see if you can re-thread the cable, assuming it's not broken.

Replacements are around ~$25 on RockAuto. My first time it took me about an hour and half. Now I can do them in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey all! I have an '02 Xterra and my front driver window failed last night. I rolled it down while driving, but now it won't roll back up. The motor sounds like its trying to lift the window, but nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried pulling up on the window glass itself while engaging the motor? Depending....you might get lucky to at least get it closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Assisting the window closing is exactly what I'd do -just to close it.
My 2001 was from the Texas and New Mexico before I bought it.
The windows soon were sluggishly closing.
I got a silicone lubricant and sprayed all the tracks of the windows. No problems for about 2 years.
Now, I have the same problem again. I don't force the windows up or down unless I've forgotten and got them stuck!
I'll probably take off the door panels and do a thorough inspection before cleaning and re-lubing them all.
There's probably a pound of fine sand and gunk in each one by now!
Good wishes,
Regards...
BTW...if you get silicone spray on the window glass, it can be carefully scraped off with a single edged razor blade. Protect other surfaces before starting.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Assisting the window closing is exactly what I'd do -just to close it.
My 2001 was from the Texas and New Mexico before I bought it.
The windows soon were sluggishly closing.
I got a silicone lubricant and sprayed all the tracks of the windows. No problems for about 2 years.
Now, I have the same problem again. I don't force the windows up or down unless I've forgotten and got them stuck!
I'll probably take off the door panels and do a thorough inspection before cleaning and re-lubing them all.
There's probably a pound of fine sand and gunk in each one by now!
Good wishes,
Regards...
BTW...if you get silicone spray on the window glass, it can be carefully scraped off with a single edged razor blade. Protect other surfaces before starting.
A note here to address the sluggish movement of window glass. I have found that using automobile interior vinyl preservative/shine treatment spray solution on the rubber wipers [inside and outside] that seal the window as it enters and rises up out of the door is a good way to clean and lubricate that interface to the window glass. I use a rag to get between the glass and wiper to apply the solution and it cleans and lubricates the wiper such that the resistance to the windows movement through that wiper is greatly reduced. On most occasions it reduces it to the point where you can see a increase in the speed at which the window opens and closes. This reduces the load on the lift motor and the associated linkages. Cleaning the wipers also decreases the scratching of the window surface.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my 02 last year, I spent weeks looking for a 5sp with manual locks, and crank windows. have not regretted it lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts