Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i wanted to install a remote starter on my 2005 xterra, and i have been told from a nissan mechanic that it is not recommended. He said that the newer cars have issues with them, and they end up frying ignition modules and main computer...?
Is this true? anyone having problems with remote starters? i searched some threads her, and just saw some minor problems with them during installation....

Should i install one or not now?......

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
my 01 has one with no problems whatsoever

(knock on wood :D)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knock on wood is right! thank you for the info, though i am not sure if the 05 electronics are different and react differently.....

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
I've installed hundreds of remote starts over the years (and some on 1st gen and 2nd gen X's) and I have one on my '06 that works great with no worries. What they told you is true on some cars, but Nissan's are not one of them. If you are a good installer, you should have no problem. Just don't buy some cheap thing from like Kmart, buy a good quality name brand one.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am also an installer and install on mostly new cars. There are only a few cars I personally won't do, but thats because they are a nightmare. You have no reason to not put a remote starter on your X.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
So, what are some recommended brands/kits for Xterras?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your advice! So I guess that was an opinion of one..... I thought I could install one with no problems.... I looked at the viper systems ands the KMT brands.....as long as it doesn't cause any major costly problems then I am ok with that.....

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have installed a few brands through the years, but Directed products are hands down the best I ever worked with. I have installed their, Python, Valet, Avital, & Viper lines. Python and Viper are their flagship "brands" and now I install Avital everyday since Valet has been booted.

Xalapos, have you ever installed one of these before?? If not, I wouldn't suggest it, not saying don't do it, I just wouldn't suggest it unless your pretty electrically inclined. This is not just wiring up a set of lights

Roschelli, remote starters are universal, you just need to find the wires to hook up to, bypass modules are more vehicle/car company specific.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I was just wondering if those of you that did installs for a living thought more highly of one brand than another. I figured you guys would know better than anyone else, and it sounds like I was right. You narrowed it down to a specific brand and thats helpful to those of us in the market who aren't as experienced. Thanks

:wink-big:

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
I agree with Mr. Punk here. If you have never done one before (it's not like, let's say wiring up a stereo, lol), there is a lot more involved. If you are going to do it yourself, I'd recommend at the very least, having a buddy that has done some before there with you. I you feel confident you can pull it off, then go for it, If not, have it installed by a Pro (with a warranty). Yours will also require a transponder bypass of some sort, there are a few different styles available.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take it to a reputable place that backs their work, My son in law does these, and ask if they have a manager check out the work when they are done, start it up 4-5 times before you leave, check that the locks work, horn, lights, ect....If you want one to work from a long distance, tell them and they can help you, and go to a place that can offer you more than one brand....

·
Not Sponsored...Yet
707 Posts
personally im gunna get one soon i hope...for those that care the new Viper system thats comming out that interfaces with the iphone...virtually unlimited range...plus i can then say "hey, my '08 Monster Edition...yea theres an app for that" lol...im a geek like that...lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! No i have never installed one, and do not planning on doing this myself, even though i have an engineering degree with 10 yrs of experience in biomedical electronics.

I can follow schematics and etc, though my buddy is a Benz technician for 5-6 years and has installed a few starters, so he will do the work, its just that he said that his other friend that works at Nissan does not recommend it...so i aksed you guys the pro's :) to see if its true or just one persons opinion....

I noticed that Creepy Cruiser mentioned something about a bypass transponder, is this because i have to leave a key inside the car on the system or something? i have to order it seperatly?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No one told me about the Viper, its just that i have an Iphone and i may install the software and electronics for it, so just want to keep my options open. I may take my X at bestBuy or something then, just to have that warranty covereage in case something goes wrong....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm an Autotech for Best Buy. The Avitals are nice units, I'd say get a Viper though, Lifetime warrenty on the brain of the unit. Big selling point.

Personally, if you're having your buddy do it, I'd go with a DEI 556UW bypass, yes you loose a key in the process but, the IM, XK, "keyless" bypass modules need to be programed with the proper firmware to work with your vehicle. Unless you magically own an XKloader module, i dont suspect you having an easy time getting that to happen.

I've done numerous 2nd gen Xterras (theres a nissan dealership in the lot behind ours), they are fairly easy, but as mentioned, if you've never done a starter, i would NOT attempt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you have provided great info here (and the all of you too of course!) but it sounds like i should go to bestbuy and get it done. i will not even have my buddy do it, in case something goes wrong...at least i have a warranty on everything even if bestbuy messes my car's electronixs up.....thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm not a fan of that model Avital but thats because I don't like security systems. One, they act up and two if someone hears your alarm going off, they are not gonna run up to it to "save the day" and see whats going on. They are gonna ignore it and keep walking.

The vipers are real nice units especially with the smartstart unit with the app for iPhone and Blackberry.

As far as your bypass, I wouldn't go with a DEI 556UW simply because putting keys in a box is getting to be a thing of the past. For yours you would need a DEI XK07 which also happens to be preloaded with nissan firmware. But as JM said, if you needed to update the firmware, you would need the xkloader or xkloader2, but shops would most likely flash it for you for a small fee if any. The XK07 uses data wires to bypass the transponder and is easier I think than trying to get the "loop" in the right spot around your ign key tumbler.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts