Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking @ a 2004 4x4 na w/ ~180k miles. I think I'm pretty comfortable w/ the state of the engine and the things that should be done to it seem pretty easy.

I'm surprised that there's no mention of the trans in the 'things to look for when buying' threads?? Is that because there isn't anything you can tell short of opening it up, or because they rarely break?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tranny is pretty solid, check for oil leaks, timing belt change, basic maintenance, and rust

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
621 Posts
Check oil what the rad looks like under the oil cap for any odd coloring other than oil. And 1st gens have pretty solid transmissions mines pushing 193k miles and ive beet on mine for the last 60k miles previous owner also pulled a boat that was more than the towing cap. Wouldnt worry much about the trans unless its an 05 to 08

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
In minus 45 degrees my tranny leaked a little fluid at line connections, sealed back up when it got to minus 10.
Pretty solid transmission but nothing like the tank pulling tranny in my SL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both my 1st gens had manual transmissions. My current X has a little bit of input shaft bearing noise (174k miles) that I'm keeping my ear on. Different from throw-out bearing noise which you hear when you press the clutch IN... my noise is with the clutch OUT (disengaged). I will likely have to pull the tranny at some point and replace that bearing and seal (and any others found worn)... rest of the tranny works/shifts perfect. So something to consider if you're looking at any manual transmission X's.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts