Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I have another beginner type question for ya'll.

Recently my fiancee and I took a long road trip across the US. We started in Florida (flat roads) and ended up in Wyoming. as we started driving through mountainous terrain, we noticed the xterra would just die up the hills....literally, we would be driving at 70 mph and it would slow down to 30 mph after attempting to floor the gas pedal. Is this common with these xterras to have problems driving uphill or could there be something wrong with the vehicle.

thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
i think its a problem
what year?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wow never heard of such a thing! x2 what year is it?/ does it have to do with the fuel sending unit maybe?? thats what came to mind first...

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
What kind of elevation are we talking about here? With the engine tuned at sea level it will lose a great deal of horsepower as you go up in elevation. Especially when you get over 7000ft. So in that respect it is very natural to lose a lot of horsepower.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I RECALL this situation being posted about previously
i cant remember the cause or fix but i do remember the same scenario being discussed

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
but having it floored and only going 30 is a serious difference..

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
When my dad and I went cross-country, we decided to drive up Pike's Peak. His car was a V8 and you could tell that the engine was lagging bad and had zilch for power. There is a huge difference in oxygen content in the air from sea-level to around 5000ft and it only gets worse from there.

If it only did it on this trip, then I'd bet my... well I'd bet it is the culprit. Now if it's doing it on EVERY hill he drives on, then there is definitely something wrong.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Seems like maybe the system may take a little while to reset 02 mixtures and stuff, mabe stopping the engine every so often would prompt everything to start over with new adjustments

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
or disconnect the battery for a few minutes

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. There's also the driver to consider who is used to the way the vehicle performs at sea level and the drop in performance "appears" worse than it is. I'm not ragging on the OP BTW, just pointing out the appearance of the sudden change. It happened to me driving a Bronco II from OKC and up I70 past Denver into the Rockies...having to floor it just didn't seem right.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I drive in the mountains all the time while I'm at school. I have a very similar problem, what I found that helps is if you shift down to 2 on the shifter. also if the tranny isnt shifting properly try turningm on and off the o/d. this helps me most of the time

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I drive in the mountains all the time while I'm at school. I have a very similar problem, what I found that helps is if you shift down to 2 on the shifter. also if the tranny isnt shifting properly try turningm on and off the o/d. this helps me most of the time
You're probably a whole lot more used to it...the OP started out in FL. Good hints though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice.

the vehicle is a 2002 SE model. There are no modifications on the vehicle. I will try and disconnect the batt to see if it helps. We have now moved to Canada so hopefully the vehicle will adapt to the higher elevations. We were driving at elevations higher than 7000ft but it was also having problems at 3000ft. A family friend mentioned it could be the fuel injector. It does downshift when I accelerate but did not help as much. We are living in a higher elevation area so I will try and see how it does in the mountains here before perhaps taking it in for a check up

thanks all

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Getting the mixture right for the elevations will help but it's still going to lack the power that it had at sea-level. The only way I know of to get any umph back in the motor is to put a supercharger on it. Supercharged motors don't get affected as hard by elevation changes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts