Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 xterra OR, manual transmission, with about 60k miles on it. When I rev the engine, it makes a high whining sound that gets louder with higher RPM, then sounds like it's winding down as the RPM drops. It makes this sound whether it's in gear or not. I think it does it in all gears, but it's harder to hear in higher gears because of all the extra noise.

Prior to the purchase, I thought it was the tensioners and they agreed to have the local nissan dealership do the work on that. That's been done, but the sound is still there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could be a couple of different things. My first suspect would be a bearing going bad on one of the idler pulleys. Suspect number two would be a bearing in one of the components, most likely waterpump or alternator, and suspect number 3 would be the fan clutch. Do you have access to a mechanic's stethoscope? If you do, I'd fire up the engine and listen to try distinguishing where the sound was coming from. If you don't have one, then several ratchet extensions stuck together can work in a similar manner, although not as good as the stethoscope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll order a mechanic's stethoscope since they're only about $10. I'll be out of town the next week, but I'll take a look at it when I get back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 xterra OR, manual transmission, with about 60k miles on it. When I rev the engine, it makes a high whining sound that gets louder with higher RPM, then sounds like it's winding down as the RPM drops. It makes this sound whether it's in gear or not. I think it does it in all gears, but it's harder to hear in higher gears because of all the extra noise.

Prior to the purchase, I thought it was the tensioners and they agreed to have the local nissan dealership do the work on that. That's been done, but the sound is still there. Any ideas?
look into that timing chain recall this really does sound like symptoms of that issue call the local nissan dealer and give them your vin and ask if there is any open recalls on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts