Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between 2002/2004 and the next gen which one is more pron to go bust, easier to mod, and has more stuff available for it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
2nd gen has more stuff...1st gen is cheaper to mod...05-08 had tranny issues, but all run great, 2nd gen has more power and optional locker on the newer ones

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
787 Posts
2002 and 2004 are technically the same generation, but some consider them the 1 and 1.5 gen. To my knowledge they are mechanically identical except for 10+hp in the 03 & 04 that Nissan squeezed from somewhere lol. Other than that, same suspension, similar interiors, etc etc. It's mostly cosmetic stuff.

In short, a lift kit for a 2002 will fit a 2004. Whatever year you can get with lower miles and for a good price is the one I'd go with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2002 and 2004 are technically the same generation, but some consider them the 1 and 1.5 gen. To my knowledge they are mechanically identical except for 10+hp in the 03 & 04 that Nissan squeezed from somewhere lol. Other than that, same suspension, similar interiors, etc etc. It's mostly cosmetic stuff.

In short, a lift kit for a 2002 will fit a 2004. Whatever year you can get with lower miles and for a good price is the one I'd go with.
I meant the 2004-2004 vs. next generation in line

·
Registered
382 Posts
Gen1.5 Vs Gen2

I get it, I bought the Gen1 (2000-2001) because its cheap, cheap to mod and if i dent or scratch it I wont cry. I keep looking at the Gen2 for the Extra HP and overall looks but fear things like timing chain failer, and Smod.

My 200K gen1 has gone accross the country Flawlessly.
But if your really looking for a truck to mod like crazy Id buy a wrangler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the input. It's ironic but I'm actually selling my Wrangler. My problem is that I have my better half and 3 kids that can't all fit in my YJ. I was eyeballing the JK for a while but they'll be way out of my budget for few years, so my next step was to start looking at something like xterra, 4runner, grand cherokee to make sure I can still go places while being capable to take my family with me.

Gen1.5 Vs Gen2

I get it, I bought the Gen1 (2000-2001) because its cheap, cheap to mod and if i dent or scratch it I wont cry. I keep looking at the Gen2 for the Extra HP and overall looks but fear things like timing chain failer, and Smod.

My 200K gen1 has gone accross the country Flawlessly.
But if your really looking for a truck to mod like crazy Id buy a wrangler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.