Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a part for the vg33e that is known by at least a dozen different names on the internet, and I cannot find anyone who sells it besides Nissan parts affiliates. Nothing on Rock Auto, Amazon, ebay, advance auto, summit, etc. FSM says the part number is 16391U and they call it an element kit-thermo, and another source says it is 16391-31U00. Anyone know where to get this without paying dealership price?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is leaking . . . badly. The tab that holds the adjustment screw is bent, which is probably what started the whole problem. I saw the o-ring and thought the same thing, but I didn't find the DIY thread. Can you post a link for that?

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks deja. One other note I would add to that write-up is to try to find an o-ring made of viton rubber. It is much more resistant to extreme temps and chemicals.

Now another question. The aluminum housing for the thermo part has lots of mineral buildup that will probably make it difficult for the o-ring to seal. How can I get this off without damaging the aluminum. I thought about CLR, but instructions say to not use on aluminum. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Any carb cleaner should work all carbs are made alum .
If you can post the o-ring size we can do a write up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only viton rubber o-ring sizes I could find in town were all standard. Metric was not available in viton (only neoprene). The one that fits best is 13/16" i.d. and 3/32" thickness. The thickness is perfect (equivalent of about 2.5mm), but the i.d. is barely too large. I would say the proper metric equivalent should be about 1.95cm to 2.0cm if you can find them.

I don't think carb cleaner will work. Solvents will not dissolve mineral deposits, but acid will. I'm trying hot distilled vinegar (soaking overnight), and if it works, we could add that to the write-up. Thanks again for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts