Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just putting on the shackles and keeping everything else stock, would I still be able to do light off-road? And does lifting the front need anything too? Or is lifting the torsion bars enough to match the rear lift?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Could do light of roading stock so yes to your first question. You don't need anything other than the torsion bar turning in front. Why it's poor man's lift cheap to do. Also ditch the rear sway bar. None of us miss it and you gain off road some flex in back, remove a potential shockbreaker. That's a good thing (to quote Martha Stewart )

·
Registered
204 Posts
So just putting on the shackles and keeping everything else stock, would I still be able to do light off-road? And does lifting the front need anything too? Or is lifting the torsion bars enough to match the rear lift?
Yes. The only item you actually need to purchase for the PML is the rear shackle set. Buying the torision bars is an extra and not needed for the Pml. You can easily take your X offroad with just a PML. So, No, lifting the front doesn't need anything extra or special.

·
Registered
444 Posts
One thing to remember, leave 1/2"-5/8" room on upper bumps top though, from what I'm reading, 5/8 will allow for better alignment, and make sure when you get it aligned you need to specify that you want 0 degrees of camber and as much castor that can be given while maintaining 0 degrees camber...as a person who used to do alignments, the camber will allow better wear of tires, castor helps with drivability...fyi...there is also also good writeup on here about the alignment specs

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Check the rear sway bar removal link in my signature. Also, the PML How-To is in my signature as well (same as posted above).

Also, on the alignment deal, you can read this:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146665

For just a PML, the normal alignment shouldn't be too far off anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked up on sway bars and the only fear I have is because I live in the mountains, wouldn't I need the rear sway so I don't roll? I would like to remove it but I don't know if it's entirely safe but at the same time it would be nice to have all the advantages for off-roading EVEN if it is only very light off-roading.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The rear is hardly noticeable when missing. You can always unbolt it, test drive it, and bolt it back up if you change your mind.

I was on the fence at first too...this thread was what convinced me to give it a try:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37276

1 - 10 of 10 Posts