Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow has been falling in Central Oregon so a friend and I went for a drive up a few mountain backroads.
I'll admit when vision permits I drive quite a bit faster than most and slid lightly into a couple snowbanks off the road.
After we hit dry pavement the steering wheel started wobbling at about 35 mph and got worse as I went faster. She freaked out, I was not even worried I have a couple grand saved and a loaded 4x4parts cart. We limped home at 30 then 40 then 50 with a wobble, it felt like it was going away as I drove. I had an errand so it sat for 30 minutes in the sun and upon leaving I took it from the parking lot to 65 on the freeway smooth as butter, no wobble at all. I can only assume that the issue was caused by snow stuck in somewhere, where I can't tell you but it is gone now.

Is this normal? Has this happened to you? Or is this highlighting an issue that is already there that I should take note of. Like I said I am planning some major upgrades and I will have a full build thread but should I know anything that might cause that issue I should address?

Right now I have
120K on the engine 200K on the body
Rancho RS5000X shocks

AAL in back.
32" tires
Grey

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
My best guess is that you are right on the money: There was some snow or ice stuck somewhere that was enough to throw off the balance until it melted away.

If you don't feel any looseness in the steering or a soft brake pedal, it is probably safe enough. But it wouldn't hurt to take a strong flashlight and check it out. You might discover something else that needs corrected, and getting it early could save you some dough.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
8 Posts
Happens all the time when snow, ice or mud accumulate creating a heavy spot on the rim. That's why on my winter rims I go for an open design (like spokes) so debris is easily seen and washed off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happens a lot when playing in the snow, not as much when just driving.

The heat from your breaks can help melt it, so can sitting it in a nice sunny spot.

I have had it so bad in my WRX from playing that I have had to use a torch to get the packed in snow out of my rims. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There was some snow or ice stuck somewhere that was enough to throw off the balance until it melted away.
Happens all the time when snow, ice or mud accumulate creating a heavy spot on the rim.
Happens a lot when playing in the snow, not as much when just driving.

The heat from your breaks can help melt it, so can sitting it in a nice sunny spot.
But it wouldn't hurt to take a strong flashlight and check it out. You might discover something else that needs corrected, and getting it early could save you some dough.
Well that sums up the question and as of today there are no problems.

had to use a torch to get the packed in snow out of my rims. :)
That's hardcore dude.

If you don't feel any looseness in the steering or a soft brake pedal, it is probably safe enough.
Oh the steering is very loose, I'm going to get a new center link and I'm considering stealing Calminis design

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
That sounds like a really good idea. I don't expect to lift mine so I should be okay for quite a while longer. Mine's just barely broken in with only 200,ooo miles on it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It is also possible that you have moisture inside the tire. It happens when people don't properly and regularly drain their air compressor. When the water freezes it can act as a weight on the one side of the tire until it melts and put the tire off balance. When it melts the centrifugal force distributes the layer of water evenly around the tire so that it isn't off balance.

Moisture is ia part of the reason that many tire installers fill your tires with Nitrogen instead of compressed air now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts