Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm kinda new so I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra and I was wondering how do I get my wheels to look like the wheels in the pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think you want to put 6" spacers on your hubs. Those are most likely aftermarket wheels with an offset to let the wheels hang out of the wheel wells.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I kinda thought it was aftermarket wheels. But i also was wondering if there were any thing else I can do to get that look that wasn't spacers?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Like Beer said you would have to get wheels with lower backspacing (offset is similar...haven't really figured out the difference lol).

WARNING although some consider this look "cool" the guy in the picture is probably rubbing his tires on his fenders every time he goes over a bump.. therefore, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

However, if you still want to achieve that look:
1. Get wheels with lower backspacing (stock is 5.5)
2. Get wheel spacers, which can be dangerous. So if you do go that route get the real wheel spacers that won't fail, not some off Ebay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! ThompsonXTerra. I'm not going to do it now. I'm new to the xterra game and I was trying to find mods I can do. If anybody has any idea what mods to do please share.
this is my xterra

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks! ThompsonXTerra. I'm not going to do it now. I'm new to the xterra game and I was trying to find mods I can do. If anybody has any idea what mods to do please share.
this is my xterra

Based on pictures I've seen on this forum. I'd start with taking that brush guard off now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why? Should I take the brush guard off?

Due to the long lever arm created by how they are attached to the frame, any sort of light frontal impact forces the brush guard into the radiators, fenders and hood, which can lead to substantial damage. Turns what would have been a little bumper impact into a high $ event.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Due to the long lever arm created by how they are attached to the frame, any sort of light frontal impact forces the brush guard into the radiators, fenders and hood, which can lead to substantial damage. Turns what would have been a little bumper impact into a high $ event.
+1 on this. One of the first things I did was dip my wheels. Gonna do the plastics and roof rails next. Easy way to make your X look a little meaner.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What do you plan on doing in your X? Light trails/gravel roads or more difficult terrain? How comfortable are you working on your X?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IndysX I plan on doing some light trails and gravel. I live in Iowa and we don't have much for trails. Im super comfortable working on my x.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Some DIY mods that are simple. Rear sway bar removal = a bit more flex in the rear. Level the front by cranking up the torsion bars a bit = removes the rake. Remove intake resonators = a bit more power/ more aggressive sound. all of these can be found on the sticky in How tos DIY and Write ups.

You can get that stanced look with just wheels (and in my case an $80 body lift.) I have a similar look but i had to remove the plastic behind the front wheels and trim metal as well as trim the front bumper. I have 15x8 procomp series 97s w/ 3.75" back spacing with 33 x12.50s and I only rub at full lock AND full stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here's a more recent pic of mine without the step rails. I want to do a 2" BL and slap on 33s and maybe new wheels but I want to get a feel for what I can do stock first. Gonna paint the plastics this weekend and the roof rails. Next mods are resonator delete, sway bar delete, and I want to put new shocks on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot guys for the mod tips. How would the xterra ride like with the rear sway bar delete? Where is the intake resonators located?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for the mod tips. How would the xterra ride like with the rear sway bar delete? Where is the intake resonators located?

There's a really good write up here by soccerbrace about the intake mod. Just search "How to get the most out of your stock intake". It's super easy and it's supposed to give you a bit better HP, MPG, and a little more growl to your engine.

From what I've read about the sway bar, you won't even notice it's gone. It gives you a little extra flex too I guess. Basically there's no reason to NOT remove it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There's a really good write up here by soccerbrace about the intake mod. Just search "How to get the most out of your stock intake". It's super easy and it's supposed to give you a bit better HP, MPG, and a little more growl to your engine.
I've read more than one source that says deleting intake resonators actually impedes air flow into the cylinders. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but it has to do with the opening and closing of intake valves and shock wave propagation. I wonder if anybody has dyno'd their X before and after the resonator delete mod? Worth looking into unless you're just interested in "growl."

1 - 20 of 40 Posts