Registered
2001 Nissan Xterra 2.4L L4 2wd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Hello... got myself a 2001 4 cyl. Xterra that has a low rpm problem.. no codes just running bad... when you rev it. It seems to do fine, but as soon as it goes to idle, it can't maintain rpm's.. Don't really know what's wrong with it... any advice?? Thanks!

First thing I would be checking is the ignition timing. Got to have that right before you head off in a bunch of directions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tg
If you had a vacuum gauge to connect to a vacuum port you would want to see a steady vacuum pull near to 20 at idle, decreasing as you give it some throttle. You don't want to see the needle bouncing/swinging at idle.
If you had a vacuum gauge to connect to a vacuum port you would want to see a steady vacuum pull near to 20 at idle, decreasing as you give it some throttle. You don't want to see the needle bouncing/swinging at idle.
Thanks for the info! Is there any particular vacuum I should connect the guage to?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A vacuum port that is direct to the intake vacuum. You want full strength vacuum direct from the motor. Nothing that is behind a vacuum driven device.
Silly question... is there suppose to be a air swoshing sound coming from the throttle body? When I went to hookup the guage there's a noticeable sound of air coming from the throttle body...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely. That's how the engine breathes. Unless it's an unusual rush.
Xterra Low RPM heres a video of what im talking about... in the video, you can hear the engine start to bog down like im mentioning plus the air sound... just checking things off the checklist of what might be the problem...

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Xterra Low RPM heres a video of what im talking about... in the video, you can hear the engine start to bog down like im mentioning plus the air sound... just checking things off the checklist of what might be the problem...
No video from the link. Says the video is private. Were you able to get a vacuum gauge reading?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No video from the link. Says the video is private. Were you able to get a vacuum gauge reading?
Apologies I fixed the link should work now.. I put the guage where the fuel pressure regulator connects to the intake and it fluttered from 0-20 at a rapid pace.. what does that mean? Or does that effect anything?

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
275 Posts
Cleaning the mass air flow sensor and cleaning the throttle body can help and should be done. When was the last time these were cleaned.
Very easy to do just get a can of "mass air flow cleaner" and a can of " throttle body cleaner"
On the mass air flow sensor just spray it down well. For the throttle body spray it down and wipe off the gunk with a rag, be sure and clean the back side of the throttle plate.
May not be the problem this time but if you don't clean them it will be a problem some day.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Apologies I fixed the link should work now.. I put the guage where the fuel pressure regulator connects to the intake and it fluttered from 0-20 at a rapid pace.. what does that mean? Or does that effect anything?
So I'm hoping the fuel pressure regulator was still connected to it's vacuum port and you connected the vacuum gauge to a free/unused port for that swinging 0-20 rapid reading.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts