Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2001 Nissan Xterra 2.4L L4 2wd
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello yall! First I would like to say everything on my xterra is running great no knocking or misfires, but I got myself a Situation that gots my hands tied.. when it's fully warmed up, it does this thing where if it'd in neutral it doest rev (as it shouldn't) but when you pop it into 1st, it revs to roughly 2500 rpm and maintains it.. I've checked assorted things and nothing seems out of the ordinary.. at first, I thought the throttle cable got in the way of something but that wasn't the problem.. anyone got any tips on how to fix it? Here's a video I took of it to five a better picture of what's it's doing.. Thanks! Youtube-xterra revving

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Xterra is learning to be autonomous!

It only does it when in first how about the other gears?

And it will maintain that Rpm until taken out of gear?
Any gear 1-5/reverse it does it.. but once it's taken out of gear it drops to idle.. And yes it maintains almost exactly 2300 rpm until its taken out of gear... this might be the world telling me to find something new at this point lol...

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
It makes me wonder if there is some kind of switch that causes it to add air, and it reacts by adding fuel. It doesn't seem to immediately shoot to 2300, but takes a few seconds, which seems to support my theory.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello yall! First I would like to say everything on my xterra is running great no knocking or misfires, but I got myself a Situation that gots my hands tied.. when it's fully warmed up, it does this thing where if it'd in neutral it doest rev (as it shouldn't) but when you pop it into 1st, it revs to roughly 2500 rpm and maintains it.. I've checked assorted things and nothing seems out of the ordinary.. at first, I thought the throttle cable got in the way of something but that wasn't the problem.. anyone got any tips on how to fix it? Here's a video I took of it to five a better picture of what's it's doing.. Thanks! Youtube-xterra revving
Sorry for not updating forgot to.. Problem was I forgot to put back on my fuel pressure regulator vacuum line which caused the revving.. I don't fully understand how those two are correlated but it fixed the problem.. happy days!

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
That vacuum line allows unmetered air into the intake. The O2 sensor picks up a lean-burn condition and tells the ECM to bump the fuel to accommodate it.

If you want to see what a LOT of unmetered air does to your idle, remove the resonator from the air intake tube between the MAF and TB. You'll quickly learn that unmetered air is your foe, not your friend. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts