Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the sticky for the GEN1's, but haven't seen what I'm looking for addressing GEN2's, so here goes.

Looking at a higher mileage (~160000) m6 GEN2 and wondering if there's anything I need to take a closer look at on a generally well maintained vehicle?

I know the timing chain isn't as much an issue as the belts on GEN1's and the tranny isn't as much to worry about as the auto. Anything like that that I may have missed? Only been researching a couple days now...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note too that I put a lot of weight on the community supporting a vehicle when I look to purchase. There seems to be an active and knowledgeable base here, which gives me confidence. Thanks for any advice or wisdom you might impart on this fat old noob :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
i know the first year gen2 some had a timing chain tensioner issue, but with the mileage your looking it would have had to have been address prior...
other then that just make sure n grinds in the transmission there not the stoutest manual trans. and at that mileage your probably looking at a clutch replacement... so make sure the clutch feels normal not soft or high peddled.

but not too many issue with a manual X.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone remember which Gen 2's were at risk for the "milkshake of death" or whatever it was called? Thats something you may want to keep an eye out for.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anyone remember which Gen 2's were at risk for the "milkshake of death" or whatever it was called? Thats something you may want to keep an eye out for.
thats when the Automatic fluid mixes with the coolant.
wouldnt be an issue with the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips - the truck looks clean online and I'm taking a look this afternoon. I'm aware of the clutch and timing chain concerns and was curious if there was anything else of major concern with the mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts