Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan Xterra 2.4L L4 2wd
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello most of yall already know me and my situation. To start things off after months of difficulty I've finally figured out what's wrong with my 01 xterra.. the intake valve on cyl 4 is bent causing 0 compression.. So here's where my question is... Is it worth it to fix it, or buy a new car.. I'm a young individual who doesn't have to much money to spare.. With this car, I've replaced the headgasket 2 times one needing replacement after I installed it wrong, spent around 400ish dollars on tools for the car, taken the engine apart dozens of times, replaced a handful of different things, (alternator legit 3 days ago) and now this problem.. I've been told to just cut the losses and move on but no matter what I do it seems to not benefit me.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
In the other thread you show that the head is already off. Replacing a valve from that point is pretty straight forward. You'll definitely want to replace the valve stem seals on the bent valves at minimum.

Remember to follow the FSM to the letter on the pattern to use when removing and reinstalling the bolts for both the heads and the rocker arms. This is super important to avoid warping the components.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the other thread you show that the head is already off. Replacing a valve from that point is pretty straight forward. You'll definitely want to replace the valve stem seals on the bent valves at minimum.

Remember to follow the FSM to the letter on the pattern to use when removing and reinstalling the bolts for both the heads and the rocker arms. This is super important to avoid warping the components.
Would you recommend I replace all the valves sense I got the head already up? Or is is ok just to replace the ones that need replacing?

·
Registered
04 4x4 v6
170 Posts
It should be fine to replace just the one valve, as long as the others are fine, but you might want to re seat the rest of them ( you know you will have to seat the new one).
Have you ever done a valve job before? Not sure how much to explain?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should be fine to replace just the one valve, as long as the others are fine, but you might want to re seat the rest of them ( you know you will have to seat the new one).
Have you ever done a valve job before? Not sure how much to explain?
No sir never done any of this before.. I want to thank you for all this information this helps wonders!

·
Registered
04 4x4 v6
170 Posts
The cheap way to do it yourself.
So your going to need to suspended the head off the surface so the valves will not come in contact with anything.
Then to remove the valves your going to use a hammer, and a deep well socket that fits around the rim of the spring washer keeper thing? And your going to smack the socket thus compressing the spring and releasing the keeper pins, it may take more than one hit, and careful cause one keeper can stick and possibly go ballistic.
That being said you probably would rather rent a valve compressing tool from a local tool store, cause you going to need it to put them back in.
And you can watch a YT video on the tool.

·
Registered
04 4x4 v6
170 Posts
Your going to need (grinding compound) a rough paste from a parts store, and not sure of the name for it but a (valve grinding/seating tool) a cheap hadle with suction cups on either side.

IF THE VALVE IS GOOD
When you get the valve out you can remove the carbon from the valve with a wire grinding wheel brush, or some kind of wire brush, (but no grinding wheels or anything that will remove metal). But this is optional.

Your going to put some of the grinding past on you finger tips and apply it to the rim of the valve
( the part of the valve that comes in contact with the valve seat on the head, )
If you get any on the valve stem make sure to wipe it off.

Then insert the valve into the head and stick the suction handle thing onto it, and spin it in your hands so that you are grinding both the valve and the seat, after you have done this for 1 1/2 minutes or so remove the valve and wipe off the compound from both surfaces, reinsert the valve and slap it in a few times and look on the rim of the valve to see if there is a light ring all the way around it, if so the valve is pared with that seat.

If I were just going to do one valve like in you case, I would do this, but if you want all of them done, I would take it to a machine shop.

·
Registered
04 4x4 v6
170 Posts
I forgot that you have 16 valves, you probably have more than 1 bent.

You can do what I said earlier to all the valves, it's just going to take a while, and you can't mix up the valve places.

Valve lapping! I had forgotten.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have a set of this tool from Lisle for removing and replacing the valve springs and keepers. It is the quickest and easiest valve tool I've used so far.

I believe I paid $60 on Amazon. I went with the kit holding the two sizes because I will need the smaller size when I do my 2.4L Frontier because the valve stems and springs are inside a well/hole and the larger size won't fit. It can even be used with the head on the engine by either packing the cylinder with thin rope like parachord via the spark plug hole (leave enough hanging out so it doesn't get lost in the cylinder) or by connecting an air compressor to a compression tester and pressurizing the cylinder via the spark plug hole. This will keep the valves in place, but if for some reason the compressor quits and runs out of air or if you smack the valve stem hard enough the valve may still drop. The rope is safer.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You can get a standard compressor though the loan program at most big box auto stores like Autozone, Pepboys etc. I bought mine because I knew I was going to use it on the Xterra, Frontier and likely my son's Outlander to replace valve stem seals and I really didn't want to take the heads off. I'm also a sucker for shiny new toys and if I can justify it to my wife....

"But honey, if I spend $60 on this tool I can do the job myself and a shop will charge me $500 to $1000 to do it..." :whistle:

For the 2.4L the standard style really won't work since you don't have access to the side of the springs. An appropriately sized socket works, just be careful that you don't lose the keepers.

The Lisle tool has a magnet inside that helps ensure that the keepers pop out of their little hole and makes sure the keepers don't go exploring the far recesses of your garage.
A small rare earth magnet could be bought from Home depot or similar place and set inside an appropriately sized deep socket to make a home version.

The tool also comes with an attachment that helps to replace the keepers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot that you have 16 valves, you probably have more than 1 bent.

You can do what I said earlier to all the valves, it's just going to take a while, and you can't mix up the valve places.

Valve lapping! I had forgotten.
Wow thank you for all this! Quick question, since I already got the head apart, I'm planning on replacing all the valve stem seals on all 16 valves, will I need to the the valve lapping on all 16 of them sense i am taking them apart? Or just the 2 that I will be replacing? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
As mentioned... Don't mix up the valves. Not only to ensure they seal in the head correctly, but also to ensure that they match up with the wear in their individual valve guides. If you have to pull them all out at the same time (machining etc), Labeling with a sharpie can help. I also like to make a labeled carboard layout of the the head. Punch holes to push the valve stems into so that they're held nice and snug. If you were just going to be replacing the seals then I'd pull a valve and replace the seal one at a time to avoid the possibility of mixing them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts