Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question that everyone wants answered...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY GAS MILEAGE!?!?!?!

So has anyone done it to their X?

Can I improve my 2000 5-speed's gas mileage?

What have you done to improve yours?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
i did the stock intake mod(found in the how to section here)
and an electric fan swap

also did a tranny cooler but since your is a stick that mod is not applicable

i get from 15-20mpg on the highway depending on factors like incline, wind, etc.

with cruise at 45mph i get 23-26mpg

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I get BAD mpg's. My X is not happy with my interstate commute to and from work. 70 mph is not it's favorite thing to do by a long shot. I think I get around 15 - 17 on my street shoes and about 11 to 12 when I'm running my 33's (they weigh a friggin' ton).

·
Registered
181 Posts
I pull a small trailer most of the time and get between 9 and 11 mpgs with it. Without it, I get around 14. I've done the intake mod, K&N drop-in, electric fan, and tranny cooler, but I also enjoy the sound of my supercharger WAY too much to get good mpgs. I suppose I could drive like a normal person to get better mileage, but oh well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 09 so far is averaging around 14-15 but it is mostly in town and it only has 2300 miles on it. Plus I enjoy stomping the throttle and showing Ford f150s with straight pipes that a v6 can beat a v8.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
json3904 tell me more!

what are resonators?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Open the hood, all the plastic crap the intake air goes through before the air box (With the filter in it) are resonators.

:D

I swapped in all synthetic lubes, made sure my tire pressures were high enough, use lower rolling resistance tires, took all the foo foo plastic crap off of the roof, swapped in an electric fan instead of the belt driven one, replaced the resonators with a snorkel, used flat belly skid plates to reduce undercarriage turbulence, and leave earlier so I don't have to go so fast.

:D

I average about 20 mpg with my V6 5 Spd on the 305/70/16 BFG AT ko's, and about 17 mpg on the 33 x 13.5/16 Interco LTB's.

·
Registered
423 Posts
yea keep it under 2.5k RPM's and you ought to come out alright on mpg, well not good but best you going to get with an X

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
My most recent test gave me 14.95 MPG. That was two highway trips (80km round trip) and lots of short hops around town.

BUT...

My idle is turned up to compensate for the jumping I was getting when at stops. That seemed to solve the problem, but I'm sucking back gas something awful. I still need to take it into a performance shop and have them look at my setup to see what needs to be tweaked.

More to come...

·
Registered
35 Posts
23mpg Highway at 65mph and 12-14mpg city (Philadelphia) in my 07 S with auto trans, K and N filter, full Syn Oil and S Matic Trans fluid. Stock tires with 33psi in them

·
Registered
325 Posts
I get BAD mpg's. My X is not happy with my interstate commute to and from work. 70 mph is not it's favorite thing to do by a long shot. I think I get around 15 - 17 on my street shoes and about 11 to 12 when I'm running my 33's (they weigh a friggin' ton).
My X gets sucky MPG's. Avg 270 miles to the tank works out to be about 15mpgs. 50% city, 50%hwy. Plugs are the next on my list, gonna look at em first. Only 37k total on the truck now but its 5 years old. Previous owner did lots of short driving so that could take a toll on em right?

Adding MMO has helped me consideribly and I think its getting a bit better with every tank. Changed the fuel filter, pcv valve and went from avg 240 miles to 270 in a month or two.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im getting between 18.4 and 18.8 mpg now. I have a K&N drop in, I use premium gas and dont let my rpms go over 3500.

We will see what happens when i slap my fatty mud n snows on this week.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Haha, all you guys with your double digit gas milage :p

8 on the highway, 1.5 while wheeling. ;) I don't live in a city, so no clue about city milage.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha, all you guys with your double digit gas milage :p

8 on the highway, 1.5 while wheeling. ;) I don't live in a city, so no clue about city milage.
what did you do to your x to get such bad mpg's?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts