Nissan XTerra Forum banner
10741 - 10742 of 10742 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,018 Posts
I finally found my timing light and checked the ignition timing after having replaced the t-belt this summer. The reason it needed checked is because I discovered that the dizzy was loose on a trip last month. I got home, turned it until it "sounded good", and started driving it. Immediately it was way better, but as time went on, others and I started noticing more noxious fumes, especially when idling.

Today I found it, read the FSM on how to properly vroom-vroom it after unplugging the TPS, then discovered that it was advanced about 10° too much. Spec is 10°±5°, so I moved it down to 15° and took it for a spin. It seems a bit smoother, but it still won't ever win any races.

But I feel better about having accomplished that on my day off, especially at 37°F!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,018 Posts
Yesterday (Tuesday) I finished up wiring in my factory fog lights. They did not come with the rig when I bought it, and neither did the front bumper skin, which I wanted just to keep the mud from flinging around as much as it does without it. A junkyard trip several months ago netted me the fog lights. When I harvested, one of the plugs was destroyed, leaving only the pins, so the plugs needed to be upgraded.

The stock stalk has the fog light switch, and the stock fuse box has the fog light fuse and relay, plus the stock wiring is all there. A test revealed that the ground for the stock relay coil was not present, but when I removed the relay, I broke the top of the relay case.

I'm not a fan of using tiny little 20-gauge wire to run a halogen bulb. So, it now has two 16-ga. wires to each bulb (hot + ground) from a new relay mounted on the passenger's fender. The stock relay is now gone. One pair of wires for the driver's side runs along the firewall, then down to the light. The passenger's wire runs along the fender and down. Both lights now have WeatherPack plugs.

For those of you wondering: Yes, all of my fuses are facing the same way. Some suffer from OCD; I just use it to my advantage.

I haven't driven it at night yet, but I'm sure they'll work just fine. Probably need a little adjusting, too.

10741 - 10742 of 10742 Posts