Nissan XTerra Forum banner
10721 - 10739 of 10739 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,858 Posts
Replaced both heater hoses, and did so WITHOUT BREAKING the heater core's nipples! (Ordering a mixed drink at my next sit-down dinner!)

Added a brace and padding using old heater and radiator hoses to prevent that thermo valve from vibrating and possibly coming loose, then wired the temperature sensor to the waiting switch inside.

Wired up the fan to the waiting relay output using a WeatherPack connector. If you check out my build thread (see post above for link), there's more detail and pics.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Ordered the 5 PCV hoses. Ouch! Not sure when they'll get here, so I'll finish buttoning up the X tomorrow and start driving it with the old hoses. It's already too hot/humid today at 92F and dew point of 75F. Even in the shade I sweat while sitting down!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Ordered the 5 PCV hoses. Ouch! Not sure when they'll get here, so I'll finish buttoning up the X tomorrow and start driving it with the old hoses. It's already too hot/humid today at 92F and dew point of 75F. Even in the shade I sweat while sitting down!
The place I ordered them from said that 1 of the 5 hoses is the wrong part, they can't edit the order, and they won't fulfill the order since "their system" says it's the wrong part. So I've requested a full refund and will find them somewhere else. Thanks for wasting 2 days when I'm on vacation and could have gotten them installed!

·
Premium Member
2006 Nissan Xterra, 3" lift, full armor
516 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
On my 2004 3.3L NA:
I got all of the PCV hoses replaced. Had to use straight hose and just bend it from fitting to fitting. The little 90° molded elbows for the PCV tube that tees off to the air intake hose were a doozy! I tried using 3/4" hose, then 5/8" hose, but the fittings are so close to each other that they kinked. So off to NAPA and had them check their in-stock molded hoses for something that might fit. Part number 7296 (picture shows just the part of the leg that was cut off) is either 5/8" on the pipe end and a bit bigger on the valve cover end, or maybe 5/8" on the valve cover and a bit smaller on the pipe. Either way, all I had to do was shorten both legs a bit and Bob's Yer Uncle!

I swear that one day, I'm gonna find whoever "designed" hoses and pipes between the engine and firewall and rescind his retirement! I spent 3-4 hours on 2 hoses behind the throttle body, and there are still 2 coolant hoses that I can't reach. Hopefully they'll last long enough that I can pop the intake when I'm off work in November (and the weather is reasonable). Then, for what I've been complaining about since my first Xterra, I can remove all of the freakin' pipes from running inside the engine and put them where they can be worked on more easily.

With everything buttoned up, coolant topped off, and engine up to normal temps, it was idling between 450 and 525. When I turned it off and then tried to restart it later, it would start only if I gave it some gas pedal, but when I let off, it stalled. I adjusted the idle screw to 800-900 with no AC, and 675-750 with AC on.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
This last Monday a storm came through and shook the tree above my X, causing a 10-foot branch to drop where my daily commuter parks overnight. I thought I had dodged a bullet, and I did, except that part of the branch (or another smaller one) broke the driver's mirror.

There was a 3-bay garage near my place that was demolished this week.

Saturday evening (today) I came home after having dinner with a buddy at Rooster's (chicken is the main fare).

I decided to drive over to take a quick look, then backed away. As I did, and I was using what was left of the mirror, I backed off a cement retaining wall for a truck ramp at another building owned by the same folks. (It's now city property, so I was not trespassing. ;)) It's right next door to where I live, so I walked home and called my insurance carrier for Roadside Assistance. They sent me a link to use online that needed the policy number.

I called a buddy on my way out of the house to get my policy number since it's easier to find it on the insurance card that in my "filing" cabinet. I told him that he was gonna laugh, and he did, and then told me he'd be right over to pull me out.

Long story short: He pulled me out after I jacked up the X, put a cinder block under the tire, and then did some more trickery after a neighbor came over to offer help and suggestions.

On second thought, I was testing the flex in my X, and that right rear got some serious stuffage while the left showed how much it'll droop and still not roll over! Yeah, that's my new story! :cool:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Arrived today: Smart fan control for my twin electrics. It will be set to turn on the Low fan around 200, off at 190, and the High fan at 210, off at 200.

It will also be set to turn fans off above a set speed (31 or higher, I'll probably use 35), and have a key-off delay of zero to 5 minutes (I'll probably set it to 5 minutes).

There's also a feature that has something to do with the AC being energized. I may or may not use that.

For dual fans, it can be set to turn on one (called Low), the other (called High), or both, depending on the settings. I plan to set them up so that Low runs both in series (both at half speed) and High runs both in parallel (both at full speed). This should reduce the noise a bit while having the fans running on Low.

This all came about while I was searching for an 1/8" sensor to change it from turning them on at 190 and off between 175-180. This offers better control and more features.

The box on top (BIM-01-2) hooks into the OBD port to capture vehicle speed, engine coolant temp, and tach, then connects to the bottom box (fan controller) through a 3-wire BIM cable.

I hope I can start and finish it all on Monday.

·
Premium Member
2006 Nissan Xterra, 3" lift, full armor
516 Posts
Ordered my 3-spring AAL and shims for the new build! Claim 3” of lift in the back hence the wedge shims to correct the pumpkin angle for vibration. Body lift arrived, planning that install next month when it isn’t so hot out.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Sweet, you should have went :geek:
On Board: Street tires that were surprisingly more capable than I expected, front sway bar still attached (forgot tools :(), my buddy who's over 65, and a mutual friend who's 78. I was keeping it a bit more sane that day for their sakes, but also so I could drive back home. 90 miles is not something I want to walk.

But we did take our favorite Trail #5. It is in the woods, so any recent rains kinda keep things wet, and it was. I slogged through several puddles and mud holes, squeezed between a number of trees that I swear were grown just to let nothing wider than an Xterra through, and almost launched over a couple of inclines seeing only my hood.

It was a blast! 🎇 💣 🎇

That trail that I never take is a death trap. A sign nearby says to expect vehicle damage and possibly personal injury. Nope!

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,367 Posts
I hear ya. Trust me I have rolled right up to Who’s Your Daddy at Stoney Lonesome and Atomic Ridge at WindRock and said heck yeah let’s do those. ;) Until you get to them and look up it or down the trail and I’m instantly nopenopenopenope, have to drive this thing home.

Both of those are so steep they are hard to walk. If you wheel your truck be prepared to come home without it.

10721 - 10739 of 10739 Posts