Nissan XTerra Forum banner

10401 - 10420 of 10430 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replaced the broken timing belt on our 03. Runs better than ever now. Thankfully it barfed the timing belt at a ?. With my work schedule it took me a week to pull it apart and 9 hours to put it back together. Finding tdc with a screw driver on cyl 1 was exciting. I would have to say gates timing belts are the way to go. Next on the project list is replacing the valve cover gasket. I dearly dislike removing plenums but it will have to be done

·
Registered
230 Posts
Replaced the broken timing belt on our 03. Runs better than ever now. Thankfully it barfed the timing belt at a ?. With my work schedule it took me a week to pull it apart and 9 hours to put it back together. Finding tdc with a screw driver on cyl 1 was exciting. I would have to say gates timing belts are the way to go. Next on the project list is replacing the valve cover gasket. I dearly dislike removing plenums but it will have to be done
I got my timing belt and component kit from rockauto today. I got the gates. Plan to do it all next saturday. But one question. Why did you have an issue finding Tdc? Were you not able to line it up with the marks on the cover behind the cam sprockets? Then you should he able to pull the distributor cap off and be sure its point at the #1 spark plug, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my timing belt and component kit from rockauto today. I got the gates. Plan to do it all next saturday. But one question. Why did you have an issue finding Tdc? Were you not able to line it up with the marks on the cover behind the cam sprockets? Then you should he able to pull the distributor cap off and be sure its point at the #1 spark plug, right?
the belt was broken. I could line the cams up with the marks. However there was no mark for the crank . only the mark on the crank sproket itself had a marking nothing on engine block had the mark. Had to do it the hard way. Having the gates timing belt helped alot being that it had timing marks printed on it

·
Registered
230 Posts
the belt was broken. I could line the cams up with the marks. However there was no mark for the crank . only the mark on the crank sproket itself had a marking nothing on engine block had the mark. Had to do it the hard way. Having the gates timing belt helped alot being that it had timing marks printed on it
Okay. I gotcha. So I shouldn't have those issues replacing mine. I'm pretty excited to hear in to it. It's my first time ever doing a job like this on my own. But I'm pretty confident. And I'm gonna try to have a mechanic watch over me if I can work it out

·
Registered
7 Posts
. This was stupid helpfull with installing the belt and holding it in place. Other members may have better advice than this but it worked awesome for me

·
Registered
230 Posts
. This was stupid helpfull with installing the belt and holding it in place. Other members may have better advice than this but it worked awesome for me
Haha I've actually watched both parts of that twice now. And will have it on hand when doing the job

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may sound stupid, but I really got into "high-riders" stuff recently, so I decide to make some leveling not only for XTerra, but also for my Silverado. Looks really...impressive, lol. What do you think about this action? Won't it affect to the duration of my car-using-experience? Or, maybe, stuff like it is not so good idea for an SUV.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well. I took the dive and replaced my timing belt and water pump. And let me just be straight forward. It was a b**ch. But I got it done and so far seems to be okay. Working out a couple kinks, but I think itll work out. Definitely going to take a break from working on it after this one.
20200314_174548.jpg
20200314_183520.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
278 Posts
Suspension and steering service, long overdue!

Greased upper ball joints and UCA bushings, replaced torn Bilstein 5100 dust boot, new tie rod ends with dust boots, idler arm rebuild

Total Chaos idler arm rebuild (pressing out old teflon sleeves)

Fresh new FK heim joints on the tie rods

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought it and brought it home a 2004 4x4 auto, yellow so I wont lose it, LOL. Got a long weekend ahead and plenty of cleaning up and oil changing to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just finished pulling all front bumper/grill,off. Painted flat black. Took care of rust on radiator apron, painted fire engine red. Changed all four shocks-billstein HD in the back Gabriel HD in the front. Pulled the rear sway bar-rehabbed it waiting to install to see if it will fit with new shocks. Also just pulled the fuel tank skid plate, taking care of rust and then will paint before putting back.

also washed my Mexican beach blanket seat cover and waxed the whole thing, even where the paint fell off.

thank you coronavirus

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, I finally finished my rock lights. Im not too good with wiring and electrical, but with a little help, I was able to get them wired in and looking good. Absolutely love them and definitely recommend them to any one who is looking for a decently cheap mod for their X
20200530_215312.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got these lights right here. Ordered two sets. 4 per set so I have two in each wheel well. Its nice cause they plug right together so you can link up as many as you want. I really like them man. May be the best mod I've done to my X

10401 - 10420 of 10430 Posts