Nissan XTerra Forum banner

10341 - 10360 of 10393 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Super 44

Replaced my rusty hole filled muffler with a flowmaster super 44, repacked passenger wheel bearings, installed new fog lights and installed low profile bump stops!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Changed the interior lighting to cheap Amazon LED bulbs - MUCH BETTER!!! Ground off some rust spots and painted them with primer. Ordered a big old samsquanch sticker for the rear side window. Changed the oil, spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Took a trek out to the Missouri river to catch zero fish (but have fun camping with buddies)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Upper and lower ball joints,wheel bearings and seals,tie rods,center link, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, 2 calipers, 2 brake hoses,
2 rotors and pads. Took about 5 days because of work. Next will be a complete rear brake job. Xterra has 240k on the clock and im guessing most of what i replaced was original.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove my X in the rain today! It was frickin' awesome!!! Before my car flipped, I hydroplaned into a school bus (only injured two kids). Besides that, a very reliable vehicle.

·
Ski The Great
59 Posts
Well over the past week the exhaust manifolds and primary cats along with the y pipe to the exhaust has been replace. Wash and cleaned out the X today

·
Registered
7 Posts
Complete interior light swap with Diode Dynamic LED lights. Map and dome replaced with the 118 lumen 8 LED boards and the trunk light replaced with 200 lumen 30 LED Flexlight. All in the cool white color. Significant lighting update with a clean look and with the flexlight mounted to the inside of my hatch at the top, when the hatch is open it projects the light way out the back. As an outdoors person, this is perfect for the dark times drinking beer with friends or setting up that campsite at night.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Last Friday finished installing the AC 3" AAL lift. Ran into a couple issues, but nothing broke, which is a good thing. Aligned on Monday, new Duratracs Tuesday. Also replaced center link, TRE's/TRA's, LBJ's and idler arm (added brace). Good grief what a difference.

Upcoming: front stabilizer bar links and bushings, rotors, seals, bearing repack, pads, drums (only if they need it) and shoes + bleeding, belts (not timing), Quest alternator, plugs and wires.

ETA: Forgot to mention I installed new CV shafts, too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Took off the lower plastic part of my bumper as it was falling off anyway and added a sheet metal piece to protect my radiator. I also have added some lighting that I mentioned earlier. I've attached the pictures of my bumper as well as the lighting pictures. The lights really add to my visibility for cheapo lights, but it's tough to get a picture that shows them off well enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, she blew a head gasket. So I:
  • drained the radiator and engine block of coolant
  • drained the oil
  • removed the radiator, fan, and coolant hoses
  • removed the airbox and resonators
  • removed the throttle body and MAF
  • removed the wiring harness
  • removed the intake plenum
  • depressurized the fuel lines and removed the fuel injector rail
  • individually cleaned and serviced all six injectors
  • removed the rocker covers and soaked them in degreaser overnight, then scrubbed them clean
  • removed the intake manifold
  • cleaned, degreased, and painted the intake manifold and fuel injector caps
  • bought replacement bolts, washers, and nuts for the entire upper engine
  • removed the drive belts, harmonic balancer, upper and lower timing belt cover, and timing belt
  • removed the thermostat housing and thermostat
And then I found the culprit.

Back in February, my mechanic (ahem, former mechanic) replaced my thermostat. In so doing, he clogged the valve on the thermostat and absolutely crushed the end of the thing - God knows how. Anyway, the thermostat is shot, and doesn't open fully, which is why my XTerra overheated and blew my head gasket, amongst cooking all kinds of other components.

By the way, I never envisioned rebuilding the engine to include so much cleaning. SO MUCH cleaning. Obviously I have quite a ways to go. I'll post an update when I'm all done!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, she blew a head gasket. So I:
  • drained the radiator and engine block of coolant
  • drained the oil
  • removed the radiator, fan, and coolant hoses
  • removed the airbox and resonators
  • removed the throttle body and MAF
  • removed the wiring harness
  • removed the intake plenum
  • depressurized the fuel lines and removed the fuel injector rail
  • individually cleaned and serviced all six injectors
  • removed the rocker covers and soaked them in degreaser overnight, then scrubbed them clean
  • removed the intake manifold
  • cleaned, degreased, and painted the intake manifold and fuel injector caps
  • bought replacement bolts, washers, and nuts for the entire upper engine
  • removed the drive belts, harmonic balancer, upper and lower timing belt cover, and timing belt
  • removed the thermostat housing and thermostat
And then I found the culprit.

Back in February, my mechanic (ahem, former mechanic) replaced my thermostat. In so doing, he clogged the valve on the thermostat and absolutely crushed the end of the thing - God knows how. Anyway, the thermostat is shot, and doesn't open fully, which is why my XTerra overheated and blew my head gasket, amongst cooking all kinds of other components.

By the way, I never envisioned rebuilding the engine to include so much cleaning. SO MUCH cleaning. Obviously I have quite a ways to go. I'll post an update when I'm all done!
Well that sounds like a load of fun! Good luck with everything. Hope it goes well!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
This week, rebuilt the distributor. Bearing needed replacing, cleaned, reassembled, installed and click of the key, fired up immediately. Set the timing, nice seeing a rock steady timing mark. New ECU temperature sensor to guarantee fuel consumption(15 dollars on Amazon).
Results? My city/highway mix driving is up a whopping 5 MPG.

Also installed a new high pressure A/C line and dryer, oil o-rings while system was open(mineral oil), vacuumed and recharged my A/C. High pressure line had been bleeding for years. Compressor still original and works fine.

Front lower ball joints on order, pulling parts this weekend to prep and clean for install.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
This week, new upper and lower ball joints, repacked wheel bearing, 2 new inner hub seals and one outer axle seal.
Lower moog ball joints, 68 dollars. Cost 140 w/tax out the door locally
Upper moog ball joints, 23 dollars, Cost 85 w/tax out the door locally. Amazon return items, came with no boots, big deal.
Seal, 33 dollars, best price was local

Dealer cost? Dealer would have replaced entire lowers, probably gouged me on bearings and seals and the upper ball joints being an after market lift, one quote I got out of curiosity was 1,800.00 parts/labor, said thank you and I will think about it.

Had to purchase new breaker bar, 1 7/8 socket, 3/4-1/2 adapter, 27mm socket and big f'n hammer. Rented ball joint remover(free), tool cost was around 50 dollars.
Parts total, less than 130. 90% savings and 100 percent joy!

10341 - 10360 of 10393 Posts