Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I'm close to purchasing a 2004 4x4 auto w/ 180k miles. Will do timing belt, valve cover gaskets, plugs & wires, and fluids immediately. What else should i do while I'm in there? Don't mind spending a few hundred extra on parts if it'll save me hours of time later.

-exh manifolds? I saw someone mentioned replacing w/ headers? worth it?
-is there an o2 sensor or similar that's worth replacing?
-anything else?

Also, the rear passenger-side door won't open. I've found youtube videos discussing this apparently common issue - but they keep mentioning gen2. Did this same issue apply to the Gen1's?

thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. You might also want to pick up some replacements for all the flexible coolant lines under the intake manifold. You are likely to damage at least one of them when you remove it since they are so old. You could go as far as changing the knock sensor since you are most of the way there with the upper intake off. It's very likely bad but doesn't turn the check engine light on.
I have headers and did see an improvement in performance at highway speeds but I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you have to replace the exhaust manifolds or the primary catalytic converters already. I don't think the power increase is worth the effort and money unless you are already having to change those parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might also want to pick up some replacements for all the flexible coolant lines under the intake manifold. You are likely to damage at least one of them when you remove it since they are so old.
Thanks. Are they prefab w/ bends, or just std tubing of a particular size?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I changed the one I damaged with some tubing I had already but can't remember the size. Most of them all have specific bends in them so it's probably better just to order the specific ones.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello-

I'm close to purchasing a 2004 4x4 auto w/ 180k miles. Will do timing belt, valve cover gaskets, plugs & wires, and fluids immediately. What else should i do while I'm in there? Don't mind spending a few hundred extra on parts if it'll save me hours of time later.

-exh manifolds? I saw someone mentioned replacing w/ headers? worth it?
-is there an o2 sensor or similar that's worth replacing?
-anything else?

Also, the rear passenger-side door won't open. I've found youtube videos discussing this apparently common issue - but they keep mentioning gen2. Did this same issue apply to the Gen1's?

thanks!
As someone else suggested, change the water pump at the same time you change the timing belt. Also replace all belts and radiator hoses, thermostat, and check tensioner pulleys for bearing wear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright - waterpump, hoses and belts along with the timing belt.
And plugs and wires, surely - and cap and rotor?

Is the coil really part of the distributor? I've seen mention that it is, and yet google produces links to just a coil that's like ~25$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.