Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting the error code P0328 consistently and have tested knock sensor wiring and it is all good which means I will need to replace the knock sensor itself eventually. Knowing that I'll need to remove the intake manifold and other parts around the engine what else should I replace/check while things are apart? Figured the valve cover and plenum gaskets are worthwhile but what other components would you tackle while in there?

2004 XE MT 3.3L - 147K

· Registered
04 4x4 v6, Pml, front and rear bumpers.
369 Posts
The FPR (Fuel pressure regulator) is another small thing that you have to remove the intake to get to, you might want to test the fuel injectors, of course you usually replace the intake gasket every time it's removed, and valve cover gaskets.

· Registered
2000 Xterra 2WD Gold
264 Posts
If you didn't block off EGR, best to clean the plenum out. There's many ways, my preferred is to soak it in dilute simple green (something I did on other cars, not pulled the plenum off yet), then pipe brushes to loosen any gunk, followed by cleaning out with some kind of hydrocarbon (e.g. I used xylene) a few times through to make sure it's clean inside, then dry it i the sun, then put it back on the car.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your car doesn’t have a supercharger, skip this repair altogether
Ooh please elaborate. I've of course seen people bypassing or repositioning the sensor but the thought was to just get it done as close to book as possible. Is the possibility of knock just much lower with a non SC or is it just a known common error/failed part that doesnt affect performance much?

· Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
2,120 Posts
You will never tell the difference. This code doesn’t set a light and won’t stop you from passing smog. I ran mine for a couple years with the wire cut then finally did the resistor mod and saw no difference whatsoever in performance or economy. Supercharged engines can suffer damage if knock goes unchecked but very few xterras have working knock sensors. Most people are completely unaware.

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
You will never tell the difference. This code doesn’t set a light and won’t stop you from passing smog. I ran mine for a couple years with the wire cut then finally did the resistor mod and saw no difference whatsoever in performance or economy. Supercharged engines can suffer damage if knock goes unchecked but very few xterras have working knock sensors. Most people are completely unaware.
Put on your best Brooklyn accent and tell him to "forget about it"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts