Nissan XTerra Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,713 Posts
If you're reasonably sure that 6 new coils are working, then by the same reasonableness you should be able to expect those to run 200,ooo miles as well. Driving around with extra parts that aren't likely to be needed spends money and uses space, things that could be put to better use.

If you subscribe to the idea of having spare coils, then spare spark plugs and a couple of injectors might also be on the list, as well as other things. But where do you draw the line?

It's up to you.
I carry a spare crankshaft position sensor for the Gen 2. Fairly easy fix and it's ugly when they go bad.

· Registered
2006 Nissan Xterra 4.0LV6 RWD Automatic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you're reasonably sure that 6 new coils are working, then by the same reasonableness you should be able to expect those to run 200,ooo miles as well. Driving around with extra parts that aren't likely to be needed spends money and uses space, things that could be put to better use.

If you subscribe to the idea of having spare coils, then spare spark plugs and a couple of injectors might also be on the list, as well as other things. But where do you draw the line?

It's up to you.
Until I get Xandra in for her preventative maintenance I'll be keeping a spare coil on me. But after the maintenance I will not be keeping coils and such. But I may not go through with the maintenance since I am looking for a new car slowly.

· Registered
1 Posts
If you can reasonably assume that six new coils are functioning, you should be able to reasonably anticipate that they will operate for 200k miles as well. Driving about with unnecessary additional components costs money and takes up room that may be used for something else.
Spare spark plugs, a few injectors, and other items can be on your list if you believe in the concept of having extra coils. How do you draw the line, though?
You have the choice.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,223 Posts
If you can reasonably assume that six new coils are functioning, you should be able to reasonably anticipate that they will operate for 200k miles as well. Driving about with unnecessary additional components costs money and takes up room that may be used for something else.
Spare spark plugs, a few injectors, and other items can be on your list if you believe in the concept of having extra coils. How do you draw the line, though?
You have the choice.
Hmmm, I recall saying almost those exact words...

It's up to you.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts