Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2006 Nissan Xterra 4.0LV6 RWD Automatic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some people know… In June my lovely 2006 Nissan Xterra Xandra gave me a hard time and ended up having a cylinder 1 misfire… Well it’s January now and I was on stuck on the side of the road due to a Cylinder 4 misfire now…

· Registered
04 4x4 v6, Pml, front and rear bumpers.
369 Posts
As some people know… In June my lovely 2006 Nissan Xterra Xandra gave me a hard time and ended up having a cylinder 1 misfire… Well it’s January now and I was on stuck on the side of the road due to a Cylinder 4 misfire now… View attachment 80872
View attachment 80871
So it quit running just getting that straight.

What was causing the cylinder 1 misfire?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you be stuck on the side of the road with a cylinder #4 misfire? Did the engine shut down and all you see is a misfire code?
It decided to limit my power and it was SHAKING. I couldn't drive it and it was making me think it would stall which I would not have liked since I was over half an hour away from home at this point.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it quit running just getting that straight.

What was causing the cylinder 1 misfire?
A bad coil on cylinder 1 caused the previous misfire. It was a whole fiasco checking that since cylinder 1 is the worst one to get to. This time it's cylinder 4 so it's much easier to get to since it's practically exposed. Hoping for just another bad coil or spark plug and nothing major.

Here is the link to my discussion about the Cylinder 1 Misfire in June

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am hoping for the best and the best would be just a bad coil. If not... well, looks like I'll be driving my grandfather's 2002 Nissan Frontier for a bit.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But a bad coil shouldn't leave you stranded should it?
It was more so a safety thing. I did not feel safe driving it to where I was going in fear it would not start back up and a tow truck would not have been able to get to me. I also would have been unable to drive it home since I could really go above 40 miles an hour and I had to take freeways home

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
It decided to limit my power and it was SHAKING. I couldn't drive it and it was making me think it would stall which I would not have liked since I was over half an hour away from home at this point.
That description makes me suspicious of something like the crankshaft position sensor. I wonder if there are more engine codes recorded that you aren't seeing straight off.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That description makes me suspicious of something like the crankshaft position sensor. I wonder if there are more engine codes recorded that you aren't seeing straight off.
I pulled both pending and stored codes and that was the only one that was there. They could be hiding from me lmao. It’s going to the mechanic in a few hours so. She’ll be up and running again soon.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
@Sammi
Having a vehicle these days, it's almost a prerequisite to have a scanner of some sort.

Some members as well as me have the BlueDriver, and others have the OBDLink version that is pretty much the same. They can be had for about $120 to $140, give or take. Being able to read all 4 code groups (B, C P, and U) is a big help when you need to know something. I'll also recommend that you don't skimp on a version that is "slightly less" money. It's also less capable, and you'll eventually wish you had the max version.

The "scanner" is just a small dongle that plugs into the OBD-II port and then you use a smart phone or tablet to operate it. See links below.

---------------
OBD : on-board diagnostics
OBD-II : OBD 2nd generation.

All 1996 and newer model year gasoline and alternate fuel passenger cars and trucks are required to have OBD II systems. (1)

All 1997 and newer model year diesel fueled passenger cars and trucks are also required to meet the OBD II requirements. (1)

(1) Source of OBD information from CARB

BlueDriver website

OBDLink MX+ website

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BLESS my mechanic. He is absolutely my savior. Xandra had a bad coil on cylinder 4. SO happy that this was the best case scenario for me. She will be back in action tomorrow morning! Seeing how as in the last 6 or 7 months I've had TWO coils go bad on me, I am going to do some preventative maintenance come June or so and just replace the rest of the coils that haven't gone bad on me yet haha.

She was at the mechanic last week since she had an oil leak and needed a new serpentine belt since it was squeaky and cracking. She also had her coolant system flushed and filled in prep for the very warm California spring and Summer.

· Registered
3,220 Posts
It's great to hear that it's all sorted out. I agree with the preventive maintenance by replacing the other 4 coils. If 2 have already failed, replacing the others should help prevent their failures from catching you in a similar situation or worse.

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
BLESS my mechanic. He is absolutely my savior. Xandra had a bad coil on cylinder 4. SO happy that this was the best case scenario for me. She will be back in action tomorrow morning! Seeing how as in the last 6 or 7 months I've had TWO coils go bad on me, I am going to do some preventative maintenance come June or so and just replace the rest of the coils that haven't gone bad on me yet haha.

She was at the mechanic last week since she had an oil leak and needed a new serpentine belt since it was squeaky and cracking. She also had her coolant system flushed and filled in prep for the very warm California spring and Summer.
All good news. You're back in the game! Thank goodness for good mechanics. Keep them close.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's great to hear that it's all sorted out. I agree with the preventive maintenance by replacing the other 4 coils. If 2 have already failed, replacing the others should help prevent their failures from catching you in a similar situation or worse.
I agree. Especially since they really seem to fail out of nowhere.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would keep a spare coil on plug or two in your car in case you need to do an emergency repair.
I might have to HAHA. So long as it's all on bank 2, I can do the emergency repair... otherwise I have to take off my throttle body to get to any coils on bank 1.

· Registered
3,220 Posts
If you're reasonably sure that 6 new coils are working, then by the same reasonableness you should be able to expect those to run 200,ooo miles as well. Driving around with extra parts that aren't likely to be needed spends money and uses space, things that could be put to better use.

If you subscribe to the idea of having spare coils, then spare spark plugs and a couple of injectors might also be on the list, as well as other things. But where do you draw the line?

It's up to you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts