Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 07 4wd Xterra with 180k miles. I’ve been maintaining it pretty well. Oil changes every 3 miles did a tune up last year and had to change out a fuel injector on cylinder 5 and just did my tie rods and and flushed out my transmission fluid and changed that. I just recently took a long road trip around 2,000 miles. Around traveling 900 miles it started to make a weird whine but only when I’ve been driving at around 1100 rpm and going at low speed. Once up to speed no noise, no nothing. Everything I’ve looked up about enjoy whining leans towards the secondary timing chain but it doesn’t make this noise at idle or literally any other time. Any thoughts or advice it maybe before I take the whole front end of the engine off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know generally where the noise is coming from? The engine compartment, under the truck behind you, next to you like the transmission?
As it only happens while I’m driving and not even all the time it is hard to listen to exactly where it’s coming from but it could either be the engine or transmission. But that’s a hard guess

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
As it only happens while I’m driving and not even all the time it is hard to listen to exactly where it’s coming from but it could either be the engine or transmission. But that’s a hard guess
So does the noise have a rotational component to it? Does the pitch of the whine increase and decrease with the speed the vehicle is moving? Does turning left or right have any influence on the whine? Do your drive shaft u-joints look they need some love? I assume you are in 2wd when this is going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just took it for a cruise and it barely even did it but it does sound like it’s coming from under the hood
So does the noise have a rotational component to it? Does the pitch of the whine increase and decrease with the speed the vehicle is moving? Does turning left or right have any influence on the whine? Do your drive shaft u-joints look they need some love? I assume you are in 2wd when this is going on.
Yes I’m in 2wd drive yes it has a low pitch and with increasing speed it gets higher and higher. I gassed it to see what happens and it stopped when the car shifts into a different gear. Haven’t tried moving the steering

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
I just took it for a cruise and it barely even did it but it does sound like it’s coming from under the hood

Yes I’m in 2wd drive yes it has a low pitch and with increasing speed it gets higher and higher. I gassed it to see what happens and it stopped when the car shifts into a different gear. Haven’t tried moving the steering
Have you checked the level of the gear oil in the rear end housing? I would physically check for any play in the U-joints just to check that off. Don't expect those to whine.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Would that be a different area than just checking the transmission fluid in the engine bay?
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
Reference page RFD-10 for the procedure to check the rear differential gear oil level. There is a removable bolt half way up on the rear cover that gives you access to the inner oil level. The gear oil should be just full enough to start spilling out that level check hole. When it's at the proper level the gear oil will migrate down to the ends of the axle shafts and to the end bearings at the wheels for proper lubrication of those items. The ring and pinion get oil along with the wheel axle bearings. It's a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts