Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found how to bleed the cooling system and I did that and it worked for several months. But last night I was idling and noticed it was a little over the middle. Well I shut it off and it kept creeping up. Sat there and it went all the way to just under the h. Soon as I started it back up when it was about 3 quarters of the way so I could get some air flow on it with the heater wide open it just jumped to the middle. I'm thinking it's my t-stat being stupid. Cause this is twice now it's just dropped to The middle soon as I started it.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,310 Posts
Have you checked the temp sender lead to see if the spade connector is loose? There is an L shaped spade connector riveted to the sender that will over time come loose and cause errant/erratic temp gauge readings. Grab the connector and wiggle it to see if the spade has come loose on the rivet.

Temp sender is indicated by the blue arrow

If that is OK start looking at the following

Internal condition of the radiator - Is it corroded is the coolant rust colored?

External condition of the radiator - Are the fins of the radiator packed full of mud/debris blocking air flow through the radiator?

Condition of the fan clutch - Is it actually working, is the fan actually turning?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill try that in the morning. Radiator was flushed id say ive refilled it quite a few times it has a new cap which i can hear hissing from the cap idk if its supposed to do that? And the fan is turning but fine maybe ill get a magazine roll it up and see if i can stop it. and it seems the electric fan is also working. Sounds like some sorta bat mobile when i shut it off haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts