Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least it's strange to me. I've had the truck since October 2017, and I've always had this issue with the AC in that regardless if I have the AC switch pushed on or off, when I turn the on blower fan the compressor turns on. The only way to run the fan and not have the compressor turn on is to pull the compressor fuse.

I replaced the relay and that didn't seem to do anything.

The only thing I can think of is that a previous owner installed an after market stereo and wired something incorrectly. I have no idea what they would tap into to cause this issue.

Has anyone heard of or seen anything like this?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Several older nissan models would run the compressor until key off if the ac was turned on at all during a trip. Use the defroster or ac and it will stay on. Also strange is that my 2003 doesn’t have an electric fan so I’m not sure what fan you’re talking about

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this issue is hardly my concern now. Last summer the AC discharge hose developed a leak and I finally got around to replacing it this past Saturday. I replaced that, the drier, then I vacuumed the system for an hour and let it sit for another hour. It held the vacuum and showed no further signs of leaking, so I proceeded to fill the system back up. I used an 18oz can of freon and it took very little time for the clutch to kick in, which I liked. However, after taking roughly half the can the gauge registered full but no cold air. I put more in but no change. I charged it past 50 psi and still nothing. I verified the ready with the gauges I borrowed from Oreillys. No change if I upped the RPMs. I decided to let it sit.

Yesterday morning I put the gauges back on it and took a non-operating ready. Both low and high sides were at about 105-115 psi. Then I started everything up and the low side dropped to about 90 psi and the high went about 105, and no cold air. I'm no expert, but it seems the compressor is on its way out.

Any other thoughts? I know it's not a difficult job, I just didn't want to have to do it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
On a healthy system, your low side pressure should be roughly evaporator temperature. We look for 30-40 psi. 50 is too high. For high side pressure, we look for approximately ambient temperature x 2.5. On a 90 degree day, you’d expect about 225 psi. Low side too high and high side too low tells me the compressor isn’t compressing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts