Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Xterra that all of a sudden it starts leaking water bad it appears to be leaking where the water pump bolts on just like the gasket failed HELP do I replace the water pump or what also do I have to take the timing belt off to replace the pump? If so should I replace the t-stat while I'm at it ?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
It could be the bypass hose it right behind the water pump no one changes it because you to take the whole front of the engine to get to . Remember if you have a leak from water pump or bypass hose the antifreeze is going to shorten the life of the timing belt considerably. How many miles on timing belt ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appx 20k on the new timing belt, if it was the bypass hose would it look like it was leaking where the pump contacts the block ( it looks like the gasket failed and it's spraying out when it gets hot)

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
I would go with new water pump gasket ,bypass hose 2 screw clamps and thermostat .
Don't let it get to hot usually only get one over heat and the and then loose head gasket or cracked head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help, turns out when the timing chain was replaced last year who ever done it, didn't use no silicone with the gasket and the gasket failed and caused a leak BUT it's back together properly timed and back on the road thank god

1 - 6 of 6 Posts