Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s freezing outside, 0 degrees. Start the car, driving about 5-10 minutes and heat starts get warm inside the car. When stop at stop light heat starting blowing cool air. Start driving and heat gets warm again after 7 to 10 seconds. Normal?

·
Registered
496 Posts
It’s freezing outside, 0 degrees. Start the car, driving about 5-10 minutes and heat starts get warm inside the car. When stop at stop light heat starting blowing cool air. Start driving and heat gets warm again after 7 to 10 seconds. Normal?
Almost sounds like there could be air trapped in the radiator coolant system. Has it recently been serviced or the coolant changed?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
646 Posts
When you speed up, more coolant is pumped through the system, so it is able to keep the heater core warmer, and you feel it as more heat.

You could have a weak pump (slipping belt, corroded impeller, restricted passage).

The heater core could be somewhat clogged internally, or it could have a collection of debris on the fins that needs to be cleaned off.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
Air pocket in cooling system or possibly a kinked/restricted heater hose

find a thread here on bleeding your cooling system

·
Registered
2008 X
1 Posts
To jump on this issue, how would one remove a pocket of air from the cooling system? I recently replaced a leaking heater core hose and am experiencing the same warming issues.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
Depends on which engine it has. The 3.3 has a bleed screw to remove air. After that I recommend using a funnel on the radiator and keeping the engine around 2000 rpms until properly bled

on a 4.0, I’ll fill the degassing tank just a little above the seam, remove just the degassing cap, and do 2000-2500 until the air is gone. On the 4.0 it is crucial to have the correct caps installed in the correct locations. The radiator cap has no pressure relief and many people put these caps on in the wrong places

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From my original post. Heat is fixed. Blowing hot now. $65 my favorite mechanic. What I didn’t understand was he said “it was plugged “. What was plugged?

·
Registered
496 Posts
From my original post. Heat is fixed. Blowing hot now. $65 my favorite mechanic. What I didn’t understand was he said “it was plugged “. What was plugged?
Good to hear you are back to being fully functional. Sounds like the mechanic didn't want to share all the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts