Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2000 Xterra SE V6. It's my daily driver but I plan to do a bit of off roading this summer. Per some of the suggestions here I have shopped around both these sites. Which one is actually OEM? It seems the parts that Courtesy Parts lists are Hitachi and Rock Auto has a variety of parts from Standard to Airtex / Wells, Beck / Arnley etc... The prices range but Rock Auto certainly has the better prices. Regardless, I want my X to run as well as it can. Is Courtesy Parts the way to go? If so, I can shop around and make sure it's Hitachi or has the same parts number as what's listed on Courtesy right?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Courtesy Nissan would be OEM.

What will you be "tuning up"? If you're simply replacing plastic trim or something there is no need to go with expensive OEM; Rock Auto probably has similar products that look the same and last just as long (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, don't know a lot about Rock Auto).

As far as performance parts, there's a lot of aftermarket companies that make products thats will perform better than OEM parts and could possibly be cheaper. OEM is expensive and and trying to maintain "OEM value" on a 2000 X, or any car, just isn't practical. If you put in $1000 in OEM parts you'd be lucky to get half of that when trying to resell the truck (if you do).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a stock 2000 Xterra SE V6. It's my daily driver but I plan to do a bit of off roading this summer. Per some of the suggestions here I have shopped around both these sites. Which one is actually OEM? It seems the parts that Courtesy Parts lists are Hitachi and Rock Auto has a variety of parts from Standard to Airtex / Wells, Beck / Arnley etc... The prices range but Rock Auto certainly has the better prices. Regardless, I want my X to run as well as it can. Is Courtesy Parts the way to go? If so, I can shop around and make sure it's Hitachi or has the same parts number as what's listed on Courtesy right?
If part of your tune involves spark plugs, you'll probably want to stick with the OEM NGK Double Platinum-tipped PFR5G-1's. Doesn't matter where you buy them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning on doing spark plugs (NGK PFR5G-11), wires, rotor, distributor cap, and fuel filter. I'm still new to doing my own maintenance but I figured I should give this stuff a shot. My X is at 130K and didn't come with a lot of service records. I've read that the belt and water pump need to be done at 105K and if it's not the belt can break and ruin the engine. If it's gotten this far the belt has probably been serviced already, correct?

I'm also planning on doing the intake mod and adding a K&N filter, and perhaps the in cabin air filters. The more I read on here the more stuff I realize I need to do haha.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any advice on the belt? I'm leaning towards just replacing it if there's no way I can figure out the service history.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
If it was changed there is a sticker 1"x 3" that says Timing Belt Change with date and mileage ,it could be on glove box door inside ,by radiator cap or i like to put them under the hood with other stickers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rock Auto. Used them for years and have NEVER had a problem with them. In fact, just received my OEM spark plugs today from them for $8.88 apiece as opposed to $14.00 a piece from the local parts store.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was changed there is a sticker 1"x 3" that says Timing Belt Change with date and mileage ,it could be on glove box door inside ,by radiator cap or i like to put them under the hood with other stickers.
Nothing. :(

I got a pretty good deal on my X, I'm going to just get the belt, water pump etc replaced rather than risk it.

Now to start researching the best mechanics in Denver...

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's right. If it was done, and correctly. There should be a service sticker stating so. IF you don't know the history, it might be best to replace. It's a pain and expensive, but they will replace the tensioner and water pump too. You vehicle is an interference engine. So, it's kinda important to do this. My old 4 Runner was the same set up. That was the first thing I did. Rock Auto is pretty good. You can also cross reference the part number and get some good deals on amazon. IMHO, I would just stay away from any reman parts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look at 'partstrain.com'... They've really surprised me time and time over with availability... And DEFINITELY $$$!.. WORTH THE LOOK w/o question...

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Nissan USA claims an aftermarket mass airflow sensor destroyed the catalytic converters and destroyed my engine.
it was a nissan dealer saying that to you, we told you what to do in the 2 or 3 threads you made griping about this, your car is out of warranty they have ZERO obligation to do anything to help you, your vehicle was passed the time on warranty. Did you check if it was actually aftermarket? There should be a part number on it you can cross reference and see who made it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts