Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wandering around this forum for hours upon hours upon hours and have noticed a ton of involvement in tread lightly! I've since become an individual member and want to help out. I'm a member of Circle K International, an international college-based community service organization, from there I'm an executive board officer for the New York District. I know many of our clubs already assist in park and community clean-ups and I don't doubt that those and more would be more than willing to become involved with this program.

What I'm asking is: Does anyone know if there are scheduled events/clean-ups that I could find to get our clubs involved? Who can I talk to to get something like this going, at least to start in the Albany area with my home club of RPI alongside University at Albany, Russel Sage College, and Hudson Valley Community College? If not the extent of New York State and possibly (it could be a long shot but it's worth the try) National/International?

I'm thinking like a once a month clean-up event, maybe even a yearly BIG one to bring the entire District together, possibly even setting up for a future District Large Scale Service Project.

Any help or direction would be great, I'm pretty excited to start getting involved.
:wink-big:

Nick

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow, no replies to this thread, that is kinda sad. What I can tell you is to find a local 4x4 club. IIRC, there is a New York State-based Xterra club, but the name escapes me. Hopefully, someone from there can chime in. Maybe they don't do any cleanups?? Out in AZ, we try to participate in at least 4 cleanups/yr.

You can also check with your local Parks and Rec department, your local
State Parks office, your local Forest Service office, and your local BLM office. All of these agencies will most likely welcome any volunteer help they can get, as they all are facing budget issues.

Thanks for volunteering and helping us keep the trails clean and open!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry Nick, last time I cleaned a park I was in trouble for knocking down someones fence. Sore subject...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks for the revive, Ted.. I've never seen this thread. x2 on the local 4x4 club.. or you could even organize something here on CX. Once you can get a group together, it's easy to head out and get to work. Contact an off road park near you and ask what you guys can do to help.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
You can also contact Tread Lightly itself and speak with them about doing an organized clean-up or trail maintenance project. Last year they had several around the country that focused on trail maintenance and upkeep. Doing things like improving drainage and washout areas to prevent erosion, info kiosk construction and things of that nature. I haven't seen any projects continue this year as TL seems to be more focused on their "Tread Trainer" courses.

Another good contact would be the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

And like the others have mentioned, organize it through your local clubs and organizations. Pick an area you would like to see cleaned up and schedule a date/weekend to do it and then just promote it through every type of media you have access to. My local club here does at least one annually, whether it be our own private property or assisting an offroad park in our area.

And of course, feel free to use CX to promote your plans. Even if you only get 8 volunteers, you can still make a world of difference in a specific area. Last year I think we only had 10 volunteers for one of our clean-ups and we managed to move out almost 1500lbs of trash.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's a lot of trash.

Thanks for the replies all. I have sent more than one e-mail to Tread Lightly, haven't heard back from them. Getting people is not a problem on my end, I could easily gather a group of 30 for a day in September. I was more curious about locations to do so, as far as I'm concerned the closest OR park to Albany is RC? I haven't heard of any NY based club outside of Long Island's LINXC.

I'll look into the Blue Ribbon Coalition and definitely update here if we get anywhere.

Thanks!! For a while there I thought this was something that wasn't done anymore...

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I do an annual clean up every fall at the Nj pine barrens.

We get maybe 2-300 trucks. We coordinate with the park service, and the rangers pre-identify areas of concern to hit.

We split into groups sized to handle the expected waste and terrain...and spend the day cleaning the place up.

We try to get sponsors to provide door and raffle prizes.

There's a big party afterwards, and the funds go to pay for the wings, etc.

The NJ pine barrens are a unique ecosystem, and, are about the last free place to wheel legally within the NJ area.:wink-big:

:)

I'm one of the organizers, so, let me know if this is of interest.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
This was the result of one of our recent clean-ups:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know about PA's trail systems, but I do know that I do litter cleanup along several roadways, several times a year. If I could help out in any way, I will even though I think I might have the only Corolla in the parking lot. (or any car for that matter)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here is a link to the upcoming cleanup that I am helping organize out at Table Mesa, AZ:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22667

This is a large-scale desert cleanup with over 200 volunteers already on board. There will be at least 15 different 4x4 clubs, as well as clubs from the ATV/ UTV, dirt bike, and mountain bike communities.

I got the word out by going on all the clubs' websites I could think of, and posting up about the cleanup. And I created a Facebook page as well. I'm currently calling/visiting/emailing a bunch of local companies to seek donations of dumpsters, trashbags, water, food, and giveaway items.

I'm only one person, but working together with other desert recreationists in the area, we can and will make a big impact.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Good job AZ-Ted! :thumbsup-big:

It's efforts like this that will definitely help get the tarnished and misguided stereotype of what offroaders are really like corrected. It's time our efforts gain more publicity over the few morons that ruin it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts