Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Just make sure the metal key part is cut off or ground down durring installation, that way no one can use it to steal the rig later, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so, wifey's '04 X was recently broken into and so it's time to add an aftermarket alarm (better late than never).

i wanted to go the remote start route...i figure go big or don't go...

can i get some feedback/input from anyone who has gotten a remote start alarm installed and how that process was...easy/difficult...average cost...

i called a local shop about the viper 5701...they were talkin about this potentially being a difficult install and that they may have to "coffin" an extra key in the car to be able to allow the remote start to work.

i'm gettin ready to check with another shop...so i'm also lookin for feeback about viper vs. python...and is there any real difference or preference?

thanks in advance
I just had the 5701 installed in my X. I dont know how I did without it! Also, yes have them grind your key down before they put it in the bypass. Chances are its going to be hard to get to, and hard to start even if they get it...but it helps to be one step ahead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
how much did they charge you to install the viper 5701 on your X? ebay is selling the viper alarm system for 250 free shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They charged me around 145 for install, including the mod you need for the key. They did a surprisingly good job. My advice though, take A LOT of pics of your interior before you get it installed so you have evidence of what your car looked like BEFORE you took it to them. Just in case :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don't need to give up a key on a 2nd gen X. XK07 will take care of it which taps into the can-bus system. I'm an installer and the only reason why shops sell the 556UW is because its easier to install since there are less wires. Plus some shops are able to program blank keys since dealers have accounts with them and charge u even more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi y'all!
I have an XK07 bypass module to be interfaced with Clifford 50.7x I am wondering if any of you can shed some help on my DIY install for it? I have an 05 X SE. I'm sorry to say that I did not get a Viper like you guys did but it's from one same family right? Like we are here... a family who loves X. Although mine is the city-beast sister of your off-road beast I still go out 4x4ing with my friends with it. She handles it pretty well. Perhaps even more if I upgrade shox to off-road ones.

Anyhoo, will anybody show me the way to add this to my currently installed and working
Clifford 50.7x sec/rs system? I have the manuals but, I am thinking to go for your hands-on experiences. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Terabot
-Bellevue, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's working, then why do u need that? Don't fix something that's not broke. But if you insist, the install manual is straight forward. I'm at work now but when I get home I can help more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi y'all!
I have an XK07 bypass module to be interfaced with Clifford 50.7x I am wondering if any of you can shed some help on my DIY install for it? I have an 05 X SE. I'm sorry to say that I did not get a Viper like you guys did but it's from one same family right? Like we are here... a family who loves X. Although mine is the city-beast sister of your off-road beast I still go out 4x4ing with my friends with it. She handles it pretty well. Perhaps even more if I upgrade shox to off-road ones.

Anyhoo, will anybody show me the way to add this to my currently installed and working
Clifford 50.7x sec/rs system? I have the manuals but, I am thinking to go for your hands-on experiences. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Terabot
-Bellevue, WA
You probably wont be able to install the XK07 yourself. The XK bypass moduals aren't made specifically for your vehicle. They are programable, meaning, you have to have it programs with the proper firmware to your specific make and model of vehicle. You need a piece called an XKLOADER. Not worth the investment for a one time use thing. Not to mention you tap into the can-bus system, if you've never done it and you accidently mix up a wire, you can cause some serious damage.

Also, as asked before, why mess with something that works perfectly fine...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JM is right. The XK07 has to be flashed with the firmware specific for the X. It is PKN3 4.02. This is NOT a DIY thing especially if this is your 1st time. I was going under the assumption that it was already flashed. Some sellers do pre flash them for your vehicle. (ex: eBay) If it was already flashed, then the install is pretty easy.

Brown = Ground when running (status) from remote start. Most likely Blue.
Violet/White = CAN Low in 40 pin plug at BCM pin 21.
Violet = CAN High in 40 pin plug at BCM pin 20.

At 40 pin plug at BCM, cut wire from pin 38.
Pink/White = Security LED pin 38 to LED.
Pink = security LED pin 38 to connector on BCM.

Orange = Ignition = White/Green on X white connector in drivers kick panel.
Red = 12v constant = Dark Green on X white connector in drivers kick panel.
Black = Ground = Chasis

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
sooooooooooooooo.... i wanna do this that way this winter in all the snow my truck will be defrosted and warm when i get in lol..... whats the best out right now...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi ALL,
EUREKA! Finally I made it work.
@ lhoang5683, yes it was pre-flashed to the latest PKN3 4.02 when I bought it. I plugged-in the [5-pin RS aux output] to the 50.7x brain and just used the Blue wire off of it and connected it to the Brown wire of the XK07 module. With the use of the Bitwriter (ver.2.07) I was able to easily and visually set the features (i.e. Transmission Mode = Automatic).
@ JMLoughrey, You are right out of my desperation I almost bought the XKLoader thinking the pre-programmed firmware of the XK07 wasn't the right one for my X. But, I thought; unlike the Bitwriter I will be using it only once. Unless I will render a service for flashing firmware on it, yeah! I might buy one. But, there's no need for it now because I was able to make it work and test drove it. It's sweet! Thank you guys for all your help and motivation (direct or indirect) on this DIY project of mine.

Just a clarification: The pin 21 & 22 of the BCM on my 05 X are not the same color as what the installation manual for the Xpresskit XK07 says. It was confusing. But, with my (little) knowledge on electronics and diagram reading and the help of my in-depth service manual (which covers 04-07 models) it's pin 39/Blue/CAN High and pin 40/Pink/CAN Low respectively of the 40-pin BCM white plug. I deciphered it as well using the 38th pin on the 40-pin BCM which is connected to the Security Light wires (Pink/White and Pink) of the bypass module; which is also confusing on the manual because it says Green, but it's White/Red which I cut and connect to Pink/White and Pink respectively.
Here's what I did on my X:
*** XK07 to Interface of car ***
(-) Input = Brown = Ground when running (status) to 5-pin RS Aux Output = Blue wire
DATA = Violet/White = CAN Low to 40-pin white plug BCM = Pink wire = pin 40.
DATA = Violet = CAN High to 40-pin white plug BCM = Blue wire = pin 39.
(+) Output = Pink/White = Security Light to 40-pin white plug BCM pin 38 (cut) = White/Red = to wire going to the vehicle or LED (as mentioned on the manual)
(+) Input = Pink = Security Light to 40-pin white plug BCM pin 38 (cut) = White/Red = to wire going to the remaining wire still connected to the BCM white plug.
(+) Input = Orange = to Ignition Wire of the ignition harness (where PINK heavy gauge H3 wire is also soldered).
(+) Input = Red = (+) 12v constant = to Green Heavy Gauge wire of the ignition harness (where H3/2, H3/6 and H3/9 heavy gauge wires are altogether soldered).
(-) Input = Black = Ground to grounding I made on the inside body of the vehicle (where all the rest of the ground wires of the security and RS system including the Siren's negative (black) wire is connected.

I hope this will give others information on their DIY remote start project on their Xs.
Please do correct me if I mentioned a wrong wire color or interfacing about this.

Summary:
Vehicle: 2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4.0L 4WD
Security system: Clifford Matrix 50.7x LC3 Responder with LC2 (2-way and 1-way) remote commander. Feature configuration using Bitwriter ver 2.07.
Modules: XK07 Bypass module (Infinity and Nissan [later and old]) and DEI 506T Glass Breakage Sensor. Adding window module, radar module and digital tilt sensor.

Kudos to all here in ClubXterra.org

DIY doesn't mean do it alone (DOA)

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
thats the system i think i am going to get the clifford 50.7 my old shop use to sell them and i know they are top quality... as back in the mid 90's these alarms come with all books and instructions right.. i just need the wiring diagram for my year model x and thats it.. im reading this stuff upo there about flashing and computers and stuff... im pretty good working around electronics.. is this something i could get into or does a shop have to do it.. again ive installed a few alarms and remote starts in my day... but im sure alarms have come along way since the mid 90's

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gixxer,
I just did a remote start on my '02 a few weeks ago. It took me all day, but was the first time I'd gotten that involved on either a remote starter or an Xterra. It's definitely DIY if you have the tools, time, and a decent place to work. Oh, and check if you will need a bypass module by getting a key copied and seeing if it works.

Aside from taking everything apart to get to the wires (and knowing which wires to use, the hard part), it's really just making a dozen wire connections. The whole finding everything and hiding everything parts are the time-consuming bit.

Check out the semi-writeup I started here

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
PS> Just to toss this out there, on DEI units the Timer Mode:

Lock & Unlock Buttons
The remote start timer mode function of the system is controlled
by pressing these buttons simultaneously.

That's the mode where your car remote starts and runs like normal, BUT IF YOU say decide you aren't going anywhere and it times out (12 or 24 or whatever number of minutes it's set to run)... and you don't go out and drive it or cancel the timed start mode, it will start again in approx 3 hours, run for the set time again, shut off, in 3 hours rinse and repeat I believe 3 or 4 times. Just wanted to toss that out there so if you remote started it some night but decided not to go out, and it randomly starts 3 hours later you're not freaked out lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my X used but it came with a Viper keyless entry that according to the original factory sheet in my glovebox was an added option when it was new. This morning I was walking to my car and much to my surprise it started when I unlocked it. I had tried to use the remost start many times and assumed it was not installed. Now once again I cannot get it to work.

Has anyone worked with these before? Where should I start without paying someone else to fix it?

Thanks,
Will
I'm in the same boat..I found a 2015 Pro4 w under 70k miles and it was sold with a viper 7816v fob that I'm still trying to figure out...that remote start would be killer come winter but whatever.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
839 Posts
I installed a remote start on a frontier the other day from a company called 12 volt solutions. It requires splicing only 2 wires and uses the factory key fob. I was impressed

21 - 36 of 36 Posts