Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Seasoned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my X used but it came with a Viper keyless entry that according to the original factory sheet in my glovebox was an added option when it was new. This morning I was walking to my car and much to my surprise it started when I unlocked it. I had tried to use the remost start many times and assumed it was not installed. Now once again I cannot get it to work.

Has anyone worked with these before? Where should I start without paying someone else to fix it?

Thanks,
Will

·
Can't Stop The X!!!
513 Posts
post a picture of your remote. maybe theres a series of buttons u need to hit in order for the remote start to work.

·
chicago fabricator
1,497 Posts
some systems you have to hold the button for it to start like how you turn and hold your key in the start position try that.

·
Seasoned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I tried both ways of adding the image so I hope it works... It is a 474V remote. (Mine is older and has a yellow star instead of the panic logo) but they are interchangable. The closest Best Buy is and hour away but if nothing works here I might make the journey.
Thanks,
Will

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Remote configs

standard configuration
lock Button
The arming function is controlled by pressing this button for one
second. Pressing and holding this button for more than 3 seconds
will trigger the panic mode.
unlock Button
The disarming function is controlled by pressing this button for
one second. Pressing this button during panic mode will turn off
the panic mode.
Aux Button
Silent Mode™ and an optional auxiliary function are controlled
by this button. (Silent Mode works by pressing this button for
less than one second before arming or disarming. An optional
auxiliary function, such as trunk release, can be controlled by
pressing this button for 1.5 seconds.)
* button
The remote start feature is turned On/Off by pressing this button twice.
Lock & Unlock Buttons
The remote start timer mode function of the system is controlled
by pressing these buttons simultaneously.
Aux & * Buttons
The Turbo/Short Run feature is controlled by these buttons (refer
to the Turbo/Short Run section for additional details).
Lock & AUX Buttons
An optional auxiliary convenience or expansion function that
you have added to your system can be activated by pressing these
buttons simultaneously.
The auxiliary output controls __________________________.
Unlock & AUX Buttons
An optional auxiliary convenience or expansion function that
you have added to your system can be activated by pressing these
buttons simultaneously.

Try these I found this from a viper manual.
Hope this helps
~PrimeX

·
Seasoned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after about an hour of just pushing buttons and scratching my head I figured out that pushing the lock and unlock buttons at the same time will consistently start my vehicle. The * button twice method works but is hard to reproduce and only worked twice out of about 15 tries. Thanks for all the input.
Will

**edited for typo**

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bet soemone reconfigureed the buttons. I believe there is a programming manual for that transmitter on the net somewhere. Just google the transmitter number and you should be able to find out how to set everything back to default if you want it, IF not then I'm glad to hear that you got everythign figured out and enjoy the remote start personally I love mine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If a slow one two push of the yellow remote start button does not work everytime then i would reprogram it. Stupid question have you replaced the battery lately? If you know where your valet button and L.E.D are I can tell you how to reprogram it. I do this everyday day and have the manual for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have remote start too, viper system also, its new got it done in early december, but sometimes i find myself having to press the button 5 times before it ever decides to click. the unlock/lock button works good tho.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
i have been wanting to add remote start to both the x and the sentra... sometime mid this year i will hopefully be able to install both of them...

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Remote start/alarm was the first mod I did after putting the thing back together after the color change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
total noob question

so, wifey's '04 X was recently broken into and so it's time to add an aftermarket alarm (better late than never).

i wanted to go the remote start route...i figure go big or don't go...

can i get some feedback/input from anyone who has gotten a remote start alarm installed and how that process was...easy/difficult...average cost...

i called a local shop about the viper 5701...they were talkin about this potentially being a difficult install and that they may have to "coffin" an extra key in the car to be able to allow the remote start to work.

i'm gettin ready to check with another shop...so i'm also lookin for feeback about viper vs. python...and is there any real difference or preference?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont think you have to worry about the key issue. I will check tomorrow at work and post it. I do these alot, but this vehicle is pretty easy with the correct info and DMM (digital multimeter). So if your confident and catch on quick you could do it,

·
Registered
204 Posts
so, wifey's '04 X was recently broken into and so it's time to add an aftermarket alarm (better late than never).

i wanted to go the remote start route...i figure go big or don't go...

can i get some feedback/input from anyone who has gotten a remote start alarm installed and how that process was...easy/difficult...average cost...

i called a local shop about the viper 5701...they were talkin about this potentially being a difficult install and that they may have to "coffin" an extra key in the car to be able to allow the remote start to work.

i'm gettin ready to check with another shop...so i'm also lookin for feeback about viper vs. python...and is there any real difference or preference?

thanks in advance
That "coffin" you are talking abuot is a bypass. Some 04 xterra's have a chipped key, basically a code transmitted by the key to the ignition allowing the car to start, another wonderful little anti-theift device that just means moer money for you to integrate with aftermarket products. The part you would need is called "DEI 556U universal immobilizer bypass". You have to give up a 2nd key for the vehicle that is chipped and programed to your car basically tricking the vehicle into thinking that there is a key in it and its ok to start. The bypass is hidden well depending on the quality of install, and is only "activated" when the remote start goes to start still allowing it to be difficult to start the vehicle if it was broken into again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts