66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you can do 80% of the work you be under 8000$ and it will be a BEAST
A lot less expensive then toyota Jeep dodge or ford

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
219 Posts
I'm fairly new to the Xterra line-up, and for me with little $$$ to spend, for $8000 I'd get another vehicle. However, I understand how a person can really want to keep their rig going and will do so much to keep it.

I would love to have a stronger engine than my non-SC 3.3L, but it's what I have and I'm good with it. I can only imagine having all the extra power you've built into that engine, and I hope it bolts up and runs perfectly for many, many miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may seem a lot but it will be like
0 miles with all the mods and supercharged
I don’t think it will be any order vehicle the will be for sale under 8000$
I was considering getting years back to work on another truck with a v8 the was a hemi on it
Just on the engine alone you can go over 10 grand and yes there’s a lot more aftermarket parts for any other trucks but again a lot more money

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not going to throw numbers because I will not know until I get it dyno test and tune if possible
That will be the last expense I’ll need to consider to put it to rest

·
Registered
47 Posts
It looks amazing and I may go down this rabbit hole when I need to do any significant engine work.

Are you using the stock ECU or a programmable one?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I’m done I’ll get it in to a tune shop the works with Nissan the a friend recommended and see what they said
If is reasonable i’ll get it done
If not i’ll get a reading on a Dino and post the results
good or bad I’ll post it and see if it was worth it
Again the only reason I got on this path is because it’s a Z engine and I just got hooked

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,254 Posts
In the article you linked it indicates that the VG30 engines built by Electramotive for use in the Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo cars used a stock block and crankshaft, this is not true. I worked with for many years, and am good friends, with one of the engine builders from Electramotive from that time period. Both the cranks and blocks were heavily modified for use in what would end up being a 1000HP+ short life race engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely correct
but also the point is a good block and upgradable
I was dying to get a TwinTurbo on that puppy but you need big bucks for it
lots of modifying and around 20 G
If I can get 300 horse at the well on this block the way it is i’ll be happy
Less than 250 not so happy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

first start no issues
Good oil pressure
Doing the radiator today and going for the exhaust

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
750 Posts
I was talking to coworkers recently about HP numbers in nissans. My xterra has 180(at sea level) with a four speed. Using the higher compression engine if I ever get the blower installed, I’ll hope for 220ish. When the snout bearing fails, I’ll put the smaller pulley on and maybe catch a few more horses

My wife’s armada is 317hp with a V8 and a 5 speed auto. Much more weight but still handles the mountains a lot nicer

the new frontier for sale has a 3.8L V6 that makes 310hp with a 9 speed transmission. The new Titan uses the same gearbox behind a 400hp V8

new technology pretty much makes all of these older power trains completely obsolete. I can’t wait to start doing some fun stuff with the new powertrains. It really makes me wish they’d feed us a new xterra with some of this new tech.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,254 Posts
If I can get 300 horse at the well on this block the way it is i’ll be happy
Less than 250 not so happy
Will you be happy with the mods? I think so. Will you see 300HP at the wheels? Nope.

250HP at the wheels? Maybe and that’s a big BIG maybe.

The VG33E engines put out a claimed 175HP at the crank and stock I’ve seen them dyno anywhere from 122HP to 138HP at the rear wheels. That’s a frictional loss through the driveline of 20% to 25%. The VG33ER makes 210HP at the crank and I’ve not seen one dyno but applying the above numbers you would be anywhere from 157HP to 168HP at the rear wheels on a stock engine.

Not bagging on you at all project looks great and should run great and I look forward to seeing what it makes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot about that
Crank hp and wheel hp 20% lost 🙄
It will be a bit for a dino because I want to brake it in good first
About 1500 ml or so
Got video of first start but don’t know how to post one here

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

this all aluminum is beautiful
Hope it don’t give me any issues
fan controller on the way
Next stop exhaust shop and is done

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
219 Posts
The black, white, and blue wires coming out of the fan support: I hope those are just temporarily routed that way. If not, please consider protecting them so you don't suffer a major melt-down and let all the smoke out of them.

I think I can speak for anyone who sees the beauty of what you've done by saying that it would be a tragic loss of this artwork, sir!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The black, white, and blue wires coming out of the fan support: I hope those are just temporarily routed that way. If not, please consider protecting them so you don't suffer a major melt-down and let all the smoke out of them.

I think I can speak for anyone who sees the beauty of what you've done by saying that it would be a tragic loss of this artwork, sir!
😄
That’s the wires from the fans
They’re not hooked up yet
fan controller is on the way
hope you guys enjoy the pictures of The built
This truck is not easy to work on I’m doing the best that I can and what can be possible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts