Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Xterra SE SC VG33ER
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright people, There is limited information out there on this topic.

I have a VG33ER and it loves drinking oil. No I haven't done any test on compression or leaking seals. I'm actually rebuilding a VG33ER currently to replace the one in the X now.
So with that said let's keep this discussion strictly to "how do we install a catch can to a VG33ER?"

On a VG33ER the PCV is located on a 90 degree elbow on the passenger side valve cover closest to the fire wall. From there it goes to an inlet on the supercharger.
On the front of the passenger side valve cover there is a nipple or place for a hose to be attached and that leads to the drivers side front of the valve cover. Between the two side there is a hose leading off to the air intake just before the throttle body.

I can provide pictures if needed.

For now I think we need to put our heads together map out a diagram of "Vent Flow" and then I can install the catch can for testing.

All help well better the community.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
The FSM says the following about changing the PCV filter:
Remove air cleaner cover and take out PCV filter located inside air cleaner cover. Then install new PCV filter.
It is harder to find anything about the PCV system itself.

I would suspect that splicing into the hose going to the PCV valve (on intake manifold) is where you'll intercept any oil being ingested by the engine. Once you choose where to mount the OCC, you just plumb 2 lines to it. The OCC should have instructions on which line goes where. If not, the IN goes to the bottom of the can, the OUT should be at or near the top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FSM says the following about changing the PCV filter:

It is harder to find anything about the PCV system itself.

I would suspect that splicing into the hose going to the PCV valve (on intake manifold) is where you'll intercept any oil being ingested by the engine. Once you choose where to mount the OCC, you just plumb 2 lines to it. The OCC should have instructions on which line goes where. If not, the IN goes to the bottom of the can, the OUT should be at or near the top.
Thanks for the reply!

I also have the FSM and the quote you gave is from the VG33E. The model I'm trying to be specific for is the supercharged model VG33ER.

Because of supercharger I don't think it's as easy as put it line with the PCV because there are other vents going to the intake as well...

I think I'll upload a Youtube video showing my thoughts and the layout.

Anyone with an SC out there?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
Sorry to have crossed your path with a red herring. The diagram I referenced is labeled "[VG33E and VG33ER]". A search for PCV yields 5 references in the "EM" FSM. Interestingly, one of them shows a drawing of the PCV hose for the SC. You're more than welcome to find it since you're trying to be specific for the VG33ER.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a link to a video kind of showing the a visual.

Let me know what you guys think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a link to a video kind of showing the a visual.

Let me know what you guys think?
So I'm new cheese around here myself, but I'm encountering a similar issue that I'm going to be tackling this weekend. From the way oil wasn't showing around the bottom of the throttle body right after the MAF, and down the supercharger I'm lead to believe that it is only the PCV itself that is the culprit, the hose was soaked and the other was bone dry. I will let you know what I find out, just waiting on gaskets for the blower from Nissan that will be here Monday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm new cheese around here myself, but I'm encountering a similar issue that I'm going to be tackling this weekend. From the way oil wasn't showing around the bottom of the throttle body right after the MAF, and down the supercharger I'm lead to believe that it is only the PCV itself that is the culprit, the hose was soaked and the other was bone dry. I will let you know what I find out, just waiting on gaskets for the blower from Nissan that will be here Monday.
Any update JamminJarry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any update JamminJarry?
I totally forgot to update, my bad bro. All I ended up doing was mounting the catch at the back of the engine bay right in above the transmission dipstick.
"Because of supercharger I don't think it's as easy as put it line with the PCV because there are other vents going to the intake as well... "
It really was that simple. Just make sure that you don't leave any vacuum leaks open down the new lines you run like this dumbass over here did.
Unfortunately my issue with blow by seems to be caused by a piston ring on it's way out, BUT, that has given me the opportunity to see if the catch is really catching oil, and by fuck is it ever catching a bunch.
If you remind me to take some photos for you over the next few days then I can get some for ya, but I just got my second COVID jab yesterday and I'm feeling like crap today, so I ain't leaving the couch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally forgot to update, my bad bro. All I ended up doing was mounting the catch at the back of the engine bay right in above the transmission dipstick.
"Because of supercharger I don't think it's as easy as put it line with the PCV because there are other vents going to the intake as well... "
It really was that simple. Just make sure that you don't leave any vacuum leaks open down the new lines you run like this dumbass over here did.
Unfortunately my issue with blow by seems to be caused by a piston ring on it's way out, BUT, that has given me the opportunity to see if the catch is really catching oil, and by fuck is it ever catching a bunch.
If you remind me to take some photos for you over the next few days then I can get some for ya, but I just got my second COVID jab yesterday and I'm feeling like crap today, so I ain't leaving the couch.
Post some pictures when you get a chance Jarry. I'd like to see what you got going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts