Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  1. So the other day I noticed my Xterra was making noice, and I figured it was the powersteering pump. So today I went ahead and removed the belts because I figured it was my powersteering pump, but when I started it up the noice did not go away. I checked the oil and it's more then full, checked the heat shields for noice and everything seems fine. I'll post the video so you can hear what it looks like but any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! My engine has a 143k miles and the horrible noice goes away after 3k rpm.
Weird engine noice

Registered
Power steering noise is very distinct. If the belts are removed then you鈥檝e eliminated all of the accessories. Hearing the noise could be helpful. You may need a stethoscope

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Power steering noise is very distinct. If the belts are removed then you鈥檝e eliminated all of the accessories. Hearing the noise could be helpful. You may need a stethoscope
Alrighty thanks for the feedback. Silly question but what format extension do the videos need to be in? It wouldn't let me upload the video.

Registered
Alrighty thanks for the feedback. Silly question but what format extension do the videos need to be in? It wouldn't let me upload the video.
post it to somewhere like dropbox or onedrive and make it public then provide us the link, this forum has a ridicolously small upload limit. when does this noise occur and most noticeable?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
post it to somewhere like dropbox or onedrive and make it public then provide us the link, this forum has a ridicolously small upload limit. when does this noise occur and most noticeable?
In under 3k it almost sounds like a metal on metal or a rattle. I'll try to see if I can post a video to drop box

Registered
There may be a loose heat shield somewhere along the exhaust system.
check these common on 1st gens for that to happen, check your brake pad wear and wheel bearings too

Registered

• I already checked the heat shelds and nothing sounds looks or sounds loose. It's more of a metal on metal sounds
what does your brake wear look like (good indicator, if you havent had wick lube morons top it is to check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder, if ear or below minimum your pads and/or shoes are below specs and are the likely cause, is it all the time or only when braking,reversing etc? id brakes check out, jack up the each wheel one at a tme and grab the 12 and 6 o clock positions and give it a very firm shaking (be sure your truck is supported very well) if you feel any play the weheel bearing on that wheel is failing and is the likely cause. what is your oil level and how long since you changed? what weight did you use and what climate are you in? how many miles are on it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
what does your brake wear look like (good indicator, if you havent had wick lube morons top it is to check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder, if ear or below minimum your pads and/or shoes are below specs and are the likely cause, is it all the time or only when braking,reversing etc? id brakes check out, jack up the each wheel one at a tme and grab the 12 and 6 o clock positions and give it a very firm shaking (be sure your truck is supported very well) if you feel any play the weheel bearing on that wheel is failing and is the likely cause. what is your oil level and how long since you changed? what weight did you use and what climate are you in? how many miles are on it?
The grinding/metal noice happens when I Accelerate and it's under 2500rpm, and sometimes it's during idle. My oil level is on full, and I'm running mobile 1 5w-30 with locus oil additive. The climate is basically typical climate here in Ohio, hot,humid, cold in the winter. The engine has 143k ish miles. If you wanna hear the noice I'm talking about I posted a link think on the bottom of my post called "weird noice", so click that and you should see the videos.

Registered
The grinding/metal noice happens when I Accelerate and it's under 2500rpm, and sometimes it's during idle. My oil level is on full, and I'm running mobile 1 5w-30 with locus oil additive. The climate is basically typical climate here in Ohio, hot,humid, cold in the winter. The engine has 143k ish miles. If you wanna hear the noice I'm talking about I posted a link think on the bottom of my post called "weird noice", so click that and you should see the videos.
ok cool i'll take a look, have you ever replaced the distributor? how does it idle and accelerate? feel normal or rough and slow?

Registered
Ok listened to it, have the oil system flushed and an oil change that sounds like an oil passage is clogged and not lubing a main bearing right

Registered
I just did an oil change, but how would I flush the oil system?
You can buy flush kits at AutoZone and the like or have a lube center do it, you might need to start using thicker oil in the warm months like 10w40

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Alrighty so update I think I found the issue, my timing belt tensioner is shot and there is metal shavings from it so I'm pretty sure replacing it should fix it. I'll keep you updated!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts