Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing the valve cover gaskets on my 2000 xterra. I have them both installed I am just not sure about the rubber grommets. Does the metal side of the grommet face up because the rubber creates a seal on the valve cover? or does the metal part face down?

Also, How do you know how much to torque these things down? I would hate to have a leak right after going through all the work of removing the plenum. It seems they never really get tight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am in the process of doing the valve cover gaskets on my 2000 xterra. I have them both installed I am just not sure about the rubber grommets. Does the metal side of the grommet face up because the rubber creates a seal on the valve cover? or does the metal part face down?

Also, How do you know how much to torque these things down? I would hate to have a leak right after going through all the work of removing the plenum. It seems they never really get tight.

Thanks.
The wide part of the grommets goes down, and there should be a metal dished washer between the valve cover and the grommet.

The torque spec is something in the order of inch pounds, so not tight at all. Mine still had a slow leak so I put another turn or so on the screws.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts