Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got my Xterra and the valve covers are cracked and there is a LOT of blow by on the upper threaded vacuum line (don't remember where it goes). And I'm not sure when the plugs were replaced so I'm going to spend a day and get it done.

I'm *hoping* that most of the oil leaking is from the VCG because 1: it's a lot of oil 2: I smell warm oil all the time, you know that smell when you top off you oil and get some on the exhaust manifold 3: I don't like leaks and lastly because I want to do the plugs anyway.

So my list:

- Plugs (Wires look good no oil no white deposits, did cap and rotor already)
- Upper intake gasket
- Valve cover gaskets
- PCV valve (I know it's located elsewhere but I should probably do it anyway
- And.... I'm tired and can't remember the last thing

So My questions:

- Recommendations for plugs
- Recommended brand of gaskets
- Anything else I should when I'm in there
- I know there are a couple of hoses that potentially could be brittle, can I use standard hose and cut to length or do I need the OEM shaped ones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I meant to add "Seafoam the day before"

Also I just realized I posted this in the wrong sections, I apologize

·
Registered
29 Posts
Plugs I recommend NGK.
Gaskets, felpro should be just fine. I'd get the kit that comes with new grommets, as those are most likely aged pretty badly as well.
Check your vacuum and heater hoses while you have the manifold off, they might be starting to decay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Is there a lower and upper IM gasket or just a lower one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are upper and lower IM gaskets. But if you're not going all the way down to replace your knock sensor, you won't have to remove the lower IM. There are a several small coolant hoses under the intake and 2 at the back. The back 2 generally need to be sacrificed to remove the upper intake. I replaced the others under the manifold while I was in there. Some can be done with cutting straight hose to length. Others need to be molded. (I think I posted the Gates part numbers in the KS thread.) I agree with hating an oily engine bay. I had a leaking power steering hose, too. You might check that as a source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gates part numbers 18460, 18461, 18462, 22518, & 28410. You can go to the Gates web site and enter you VIN to confirm fit on your model. Also, you need an EGR valve gasket if you are removing the upper IM.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Gates part numbers 18460, 18461, 18462, 22518, & 28410. You can go to the Gates web site and enter you VIN to confirm fit on your model. Also, you need an EGR valve gasket if you are removing the upper IM.
Sorry to kick a dead thread, but are there hoses the only ones under the IM? Im hoping to remove it to replace valve cover gasket in the near future. Also 28410 is a long piece of straight hose. Is this supposed to be there or do I get that and build all my own hoses?
Thanks
Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts