Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the new black wheels I decided that the plastics need to be painted to match.
I'm waiting to bedline my plastics and roof rack and that would be a lot of areosal cans haha.
My grandpa actually has a spray gun and I was wondering if I could get the bedliner in the BIG can/jug etc. to save money. Could the spray gun handle the thickness of the bedliner?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I used three cans of bedliner, and covered everything I needed, and had some left over. I have about 5 cans of bedliner on the X right now, between plastics, frame, cargo area, roof rails, and all that jazz. It isn't as bad as you think it will be. The cans of bedliner go rather far.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used three cans of bedliner, and covered everything I needed, and had some left over. I have about 5 cans of bedliner on the X right now, between plastics, frame, cargo area, roof rails, and all that jazz. It isn't as bad as you think it will be. The cans of bedliner go rather far.
Wow. How many coats of it did you use for the plastics and roof rack?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Wow. How many coats of it did you use for the plastics and roof rack?
Well the roof rack has two coats, and the plastics have like 1.5 coats (I did a light coat first, then came back over them.)

Also I saw your rig the other day in Black Mountain, waved, but then realized that you weren't paying attention.. no worries though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the upol raptor bedliner is way easy to spray and is FAR BETTER than any rattle can or roll on. I woulkd say if the surface is preped right it is almost as durable as the professional stuff
the main thing is to be pretty easy on it for the week of cure time

·
Registered
106 Posts
the upol raptor bedliner is way easy to spray and is FAR BETTER than any rattle can or roll on. I woulkd say if the surface is preped right it is almost as durable as the professional stuff
the main thing is to be pretty easy on it for the week of cure time
Thanks.. that stuff is new to me.. I have only seen the spray/roll on stuff mentioned here before

Brian

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
For reference, I used far more rattle cans of bed liner on my X...I think I probably used 10-12 cans to spray...of course mine was a 2004 so it had a few more parts

Roof rack
Wind fairing
Rear bumper and corners
Front bumper
Front grill
Head light surrounds
Wheel arch trim
Front mud flap trim
Front bumper cover plate (silverish panel that looks kinda like a plastic skid plate)
Lower bumper corners (flat plates that fill in the 'floor' of the bumper)

I did about 4-5 coats on every piece...maybe a little over board. I wanted it to be on their thick enough so the coatings didn't seem spotty from certain spots being lighter or heavier. I was hoping 5 coats would be the magic number so it would be thick enough of a coating to offer some sort of protection from chipping etc and be a bit more durable, but not too thick to where it peels off like crazy.

So far, 3 months out and no issues with my coatings...Had one chip on on the very bottom of the front bumper from I presume a rock, which I touched up and that was it. It has held up in power washer DIY car washes, as well as the automated car washes.

They only downside to it, is that the gritty texture can pick at your clothing if you lean over it or rub against it...and the texture makes it difficult to wash/wipe bugs off with a sponge etc. I don't spend much time detailing my car though...once every couple weeks through an automated car wash just to keep the dust and dirt from crappy roads from settling too far into body...whatever is left just gets to stay.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Lol I guess I should have remembered the original question after all this bed liner talk!

I personally have never tried it, so can't say for sure. My initial intuition is that it would not work too well unless it was specifically for bedliner application because it usually has a bit of a different texture/consistency than paint. I could be wrong though.

I'd read the side of the can and see if it says anything about a sprayer.

If you want to save money by using the large can, you can always coat it with a paint brush too...but that would take some time and effort!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol I guess I should have remembered the original question after all this bed liner talk!

I personally have never tried it, so can't say for sure. My initial intuition is that it would not work too well unless it was specifically for bedliner application because it usually has a bit of a different texture/consistency than paint. I could be wrong though.

I'd read the side of the can and see if it says anything about a sprayer.

If you want to save money by using the large can, you can always coat it with a paint brush too...but that would take some time and effort!
Haha no worries!

That's what I thought myself about it just being to think and/or rough. I guess the only thing I can do is read the can and keep asking people until I find someone who knows haha

If I had to use a paint brush I believe I'd keep grey plastics haha

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
you can do one more thing....try it and see what happens!

Be prepared to replace a paint sprayer though!

·
Registered
257 Posts
If anything, my logic would think that the brand of bedliner you bought might say something on the can, stating that it could be used with specific sprayers or something depending on how good of a sprayer it is and what not? I've used prob 12-15 can of rustoleum and duplicolor on my truck though. I went through a lot more rustoleum because it sprayed like crap. I've done my hood, hatch, bumpers, about half way up the sides, roof rack, brush guard and some of the frame though. That duplicolor coats great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did my old Track/Kick with roll on Herculiner. It wasn't bad, but it fades. I have a friend that used UPOL Raptor, and after seeing his truck, if I ever do anything else, that's what I'm using. It sprays out of an undercoaters gun from what I recall. Awesome product. He did the tintable version, and made it red. Pretty crazy for a DIY kit basically. As I learned with the Herculiner, it's ALL IN THE PREP WORK.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Not all sprayguns are alike. You won't be able to spray bedliner with a standard paint gun designed to shoot thinned top coats. Hell, the nozzles and needles on paint guns have to be changed when shooting thicker primers. If you do spray it, find a gun designed for the task.

I used Herculiner on the cab floor of my Unimog. I applied one thin coat with the included roller, and after a few years it's still holding up. I am planning on using the UPOL on the bed sides though (bed floor is wood).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts